R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: let's put our cards on the table....  (Read 14011 times)

el duderino

Re: let's put our cards on the table....
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2004, 06:05:38 PM »

piano's isn't great i agree, they're just in the right location for the crowd they get. North 6th and southpaw in brooklyn are usually good. there are quite a few clubs that have closed in the city in the past 5 years, a couple really good ones in fact, like the wetlands. most tho closed because they had shit bands. i remember being at the elbow room one nite and all the bands not only sucked but were completely different from one another, so with good reason, the whole crowd was different for every band. i don't understand why people say they're having an "indie rock nite" and its starts with a metal band, followed by a girl with an acoustic gtr who can't sing, then a funk band, then a weird devo-ish new wave band, and then a rock band who of course after dealing with all that is drunk as hell.  Shocked Man, if i only had some money...

drew

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2004, 07:12:54 PM »

Quote:

Hey Drew, I have "Do you know who you are?"  What did you use for kick drum mic on that?  It's got more thump than most records.

umm, probably a D112 inside and a FET47 outside. Can't remember for sure. man do I wish I took better notes!!! We also used some cheap Radio Shack lecturn mics taped to the floor. sort of make shift PZMs.

Conner

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2004, 11:47:32 AM »

Update:

Now beginning the first stages of setting up my own non-profit organization. This will be taking a lot of my time in research, networking, promotion, etc. for the next year. All production responsibilities are put on hold until this baby is up and running. Should be filing for status in a couple months. Once status is achieved I will be able to share with you guys the exciting ideas that I have that will better our music community. Something I hope everyone will be in support of in one way or another.

For now I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

Wish me luck.

-Conner

Joel Hamilton

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2004, 02:18:30 AM »

I was the guitarist in glazed baby, not the "crazy singer dude."

http://www.vsa.cape.com/~twreck

http://www.studiogbrooklyn.com
( have worked with: Elvis Costello,Tom Waits, Unsane, Frank Black, Ludacris, Sparklehorse.... and more....)

Bo

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2004, 02:51:34 PM »

I'm Bo, from Dallas/Fort Worth, TX.

I'm an amatuer.

I used to be in bad local bands.

I used to be "scenester" and local music promoter.

Now, I make amateur records with friends in my house using whatever I can find.

this is the last one I did: www.thebearselftitled.com
My disclaimer is that the e-card/streaming was botched by the web guy as well as the mp3s for download.  I'm remixing the record after grad school finals are over.  But yeah...

"knifing prostitots - one at a time"

drummertom

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2004, 11:53:54 AM »

jimmyjazz wrote on Mon, 15 November 2004 13:17

I own & operate a small studio and label in Austin, TX.  I have engineered releases by

Dumptruck

jim andrews
four/four records, LLC
austin, tx

Which Dumptruck release did you do?  I love those guys.  Used to see them around Boston all the time years ago.  Does anyone know what they're up to now?

Tom

Oh yeah,  I'm a drummer in the Boston area since '85.  Bands I've played in:

The Downstaircase
Miranda Warning
Jumprope

Not playing much anymore, sometimes filling in on recordings by friends.  Doing some engineering at a friend's studio in Andover, Ma. and recording some material for an old bandmate with my home setup.

jimmyjazz

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2004, 12:36:09 PM »

drummertom wrote on Tue, 07 December 2004 11:53

Which Dumptruck release did you do?

Terminal:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/d/dumptruck/ter minal.shtml

Truth be told, Seth Tiven did as much or more of the engineering on that record as I did.  I primarily worked on the basic tracks.  I ended up giving Seth a key to the studio and he did a lot of stuff after hours on his own, along with my friend & studio partner of sorts Alan Durham (who played guitar on the record).

Seth moved to Austin from Boston in the mid-90s, presumably to be with a gal he eventually married (& divorced).  He assembled a new Dumptruck lineup here in Austin.  Several permutations later, I believe it's still going strong.  Last I spoke with him, he was also working as a programmer for some company in the medical field back in Boston.

SPGrover

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2004, 09:42:03 PM »

I saw Dumptruck last year for an afternoon show during
SXSW.   Amazing.  Hunter Darby (the current bass player) helped to mix a CD of a band I play guitar with, The Black Rabbits.
http://www.theblackrabbits.com/sounds/RabbitEyes.mp3

I talked to Seth after the show for a bit.  Apparently all of the early stuff is being (has been?) reissued.

jimmyjazz

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2004, 11:29:54 AM »

Hey SPGrover . . . that's cool that they're re-issuing the Dumptruck catalog.  For all the critical acclaim that band received, they sure got the short end of the stick when it came to luck.  Being sued by their (former) label when the label failed to pick up a contract option was unbelievable!

By the way, I'm originally from Missouri . . . where's Parkville?  (I was born in St. Louis and moved to Rolla when I was 1.  My pop taught at Wash U and then UMR.)

drummertom

the truck
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2004, 02:21:57 PM »

Thanks for the update, Jimmy!

Seth always knew how to write a good tune, and Dumptruck had a monster guitarist in Kevin Salem for awhile.

jimmyjazz

Re: the truck
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2004, 03:55:42 PM »

drummertom wrote on Fri, 10 December 2004 14:21

and Dumptruck had a monster guitarist in Kevin Salem for awhile.

Yep, although Alan Durham is his equal, in my opinion.  Apples & oranges in style, though.  I don't know who is playing guitar for Dumptruck now.  Maybe Jacob Schultze (sp?).

SPGrover

Re: the truck
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2004, 11:08:48 PM »

Jacob wasn't playing with them as of last Aug. (when I talked to him last).  

Parkville is just right outside of KC, most people consider it a part of Kansas City.  

Jules

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2004, 09:59:27 PM »

I am a ex musician producer studio owner.

Bands come to me because they want a recording that will get folks with money interested in them.

It works.

The recordings I do have a high sucsess rate in generating industry interest.

Many recordings go on to be released.

Sometimes the acts return with a deal and finance.

Once discovered, A&R often put them with bigger producers rather than book back in with me. Bigger producers are snatching at any work they can find these days, it used to be they did the 2nd albums...but in a day & age where there often IS only one album.... They pounce! It often turns to shit from there on....

My goal is not to work with major labels (the are a PITFA) but to enjoy recording good bands and keep my studio ticking over.

I have studio staff, I train up young engineers to be confident producers. This is satisfying and reaps financial rewards when they return as freelance customers of the studio.

I have a publishing company and hope to perhaps strike it rich via that one day.

I would like to find a good sounding, good looking band that actually has some valid social comentary - perhaps a new rolling Stones / Who or Sex Pistols and earn money from recording & discovering them.... that is my dream.

I also manage a younger producer who started as an intern at my studio, he is not so jaded about major labels, thats a good thing (for him) I have fun getting him paid & royalties. He just produced a number 40 in the UK chart.

Fletcher

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2004, 10:05:43 AM »

I was just sent an email pointing me to this thread... here's a link to an album that was done entirely in the M-A warehouse though some stuff was cut in a couple other places [overdubs and stuff] and mixed in the dining room of my house and at a joint called "The Outpost" [because there was an actual 'drop dead date' when we had to have the album finished... we had a mastering date with the late Denny Purcell]... they were subsequently dropped by the label, and the product was put out on M-A's "Red Sky" label as a favor to the guys in the band.

At any rate... here's the link: http://cdbaby.com/cd/blacknumber9

The examples are like a verse/chorus kinda thing... but feel free to buy the product... it's come close to recouping the cost of pressing... a few more units and it might actually start to make the guys in the band some money [yeah, right, sure... uh-huh... and the Easter Bunny will be writing the checks... right?]

CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

japhy4529

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2004, 02:51:28 PM »

ok, why not..  here goes nothing!

my band is called XXOXIA (pronounced ek-zo'-shya). we are based out of the philadelphia area.  i've been playing in bands with the drummer and singer for years now (almost 10 yrs with the drummer), however this band has been together for about 5 months.  we are tracking and mixing the album at a small studio owned by myself and the drummer.  essentially, i would appreciate comments (good or bad) on the songs right now as well as the recording/production quality.  keep in mind that the songs are rough mixes.  i was going to wait until the songs were finished, but i figured this was more of a songwriting, rather than production quality post...

i'm very interested to know what everyone thinks about this music.  frankly, being both the bass player and engineer on this album is making me begin to loose perspective!

ne-way, on to the music!

http://www.xxoxia.com/xxoxia_baking_slave.mp3

http://www.xxoxia.com/xxoxia_balls_mountain.mp3

thanks,
tom
"That any of us have jobs is thanks to the bands we get to record and the audiences they have attracted. They are the engine that drags this whole choo-choo of assholes with cellphones behind it, and we should all respect that."
- Steve Albini
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 22 queries.