R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: let's put our cards on the table....  (Read 13991 times)

j.hall

Re: let's put our cards on the table....
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2004, 03:29:33 PM »

j diz wrote on Fri, 12 November 2004 19:54

so anyway, i'm here to say that indie rock is in the spirit, not the gear you have.  i cut just as many tracks in my bedroom as you guys do.  

if i cut tracks in the mix room (not my preference) it's going to happen in the bathroom.....hahaha

makes for interesting piss breaks.

glad you posted!!!

NelsonL

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2004, 08:33:26 PM »

j diz wrote on Fri, 12 November 2004 17:54

Hi guys 'n gals,
mixed a song on vue's rca ep

Ah yes Rex and Jonah-- I used to be in this band when it was called The Audience. We sounded a lot different than Vue...

Small world.

Joel Hamilton

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2004, 11:41:06 AM »

Joel Hamilton.

I have been in the bands The book of knots,Shiner, Glazed Baby, Players Club, Iron rite mangle.
I tour managed a zillion bands, and did sound.

A few of the people I have worked with in the studio are :

Sparklehorse,Shiner,Frank Black,Marc Ribot,Ludacris,Hugh masakela,Tracy and the plastics,alex Blake....

A bunch more that are listed on my website below. I am partners with Tony Maimone(Pere Ubu/Bob Mould/They Might Be Giants..etc..etc..)  in Studio G Brooklyn.

http://www.vsa.cape.com/~twreck

http://www.studiogbrooklyn.com
( have worked with: Elvis Costello,Tom Waits, Unsane, Frank Black, Ludacris, Sparklehorse.... and more....)

drew

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2004, 06:33:03 PM »

drew mazurek

guitar player but never did anything of note.

engineer/mixer/co producer

bands I've done you might know:
Jawbox
Texas in the Reason
Edison
Grither
Liars Academy
FuManchu
Gwar
Dog Fashion Disco
Nothingface
Zao
DJ Kool
Ghoti Hook

I've got a studio in my house where I do lots of my work. I also work out of several rooms in my area when needed. Did a bunch of traveling in the 90's but decided quality of life was more important. more info @ http://www.drewmazurek.com

how's that?
drew

Fibes

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2004, 12:01:29 PM »

Joel Hamilton wrote on Sun, 14 November 2004 11:41

Joel Hamilton.

Glazed Baby

Cool band, i've played on the same bill as GB in a few towns, Baltimore at the now defunct Memory Lane comes to mind. Car burning out front and all...

So are you the crazy bassist/vocalist?
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

jimmyjazz

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2004, 01:17:03 PM »

Should have posted this earlier . . . I wasn't paying attention.

I own & operate a small studio and label in Austin, TX.  I have engineered releases by

Spoon
Alejandro Escovedo
Dumptruck
Backlit Revolver
Walter Tragert
Mike Hall & the Woodpeckers
Colin Leyden
Ursa Major
Christie Love Experience (my band)

I've demoed a lot of stuff for

Fastball
Spoon
Pariah
Loose Diamonds

Mostly I just do this for fun.  I pay the bills with my day job, which allows me to be more selective in the studio.  I'm not sure I'd be happy with the compromises I might have to make in order to be an AE full time.  I'm still trying to figure out if that's a copout!

jim andrews
four/four records, LLC
austin, tx

dilbert

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2004, 03:04:35 PM »

J-
Your song Chelsea Hotel has pulled me out
of lurker mode. I LOVE the guitar sounds.
Any chance of you revealing guitar/amp combination(s)
and recording signal path. The Hurdy Gurdy pad
is way cool too.
Thanx
Dilbert

j.hall

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2004, 04:45:07 PM »

hurdy gurdy.....do you mean the pump organ???

that's no pad.........that's a real, 1920's i believe, pump organ.

and it's SUPER heavy, i helped move it.....TWICE.

man did it sound good.

i mic'd it in stereo with two soundeluxe U-95's....the low end in that pump organ was beautiful.  the organ had a few flaws hence the miss firing high flutes in the intro.....couldn't get rid of, we just went with it.

guitars....

we had 8 guitars, and about 12 amps with maybe 4 different cabs to use.

i know the clean channel and one distortion part (done at the same time via a stereo volume pedal) was a les paul custom with P-90's to an ernie ball volume pedal, to a matchless (not the chieftan, i think it was one of the first matchless amps made) to a custom built fender 4x12.

it was one of those huge fender cabs that had 2 x12's.  the guitar player gutted it and built a 4x12 in it.  same cab, same grille clothe, more speakers.

the mic was either an earthworks TC-30k, or an AKG C-12a.  mic pre was API 512 straight to tape, analog 2" 24 track running at 30ips +9.

second distortion track was an old marshall jmp practically dimed with the les paul.  i think we used a fender 2x12 cab for that with green backs in it.  not sure about the mic.....for sure we used an API 512.

Phillip Graham

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2004, 06:37:29 PM »

drew wrote on Sun, 14 November 2004 18:33

drew mazurek

guitar player but never did anything of note.

engineer/mixer/co producer

bands I've done you might know:
Texas in the Reason

I've got a studio in my house where I do lots of my work. I also work out of several rooms in my area when needed. Did a bunch of traveling in the 90's but decided quality of life was more important. more info @ http://www.drewmazurek.com

how's that?
drew

Hey Drew, I have "Do you know who you are?"  What did you use for kick drum mic on that?  It's got more thump than most records.

As for who I am?
I am a 25 year old full time doctoral student at Georgia Tech who does live sound system design, system tuning/tech, and acoustics consulting as a side business.  Also do some live sound mixing if people are willing to keep their stage volume in check.

My last project was a demo studio attached to a new band practice facility here in Atlanta.  Double 12" block wall + air gap for isolation, and other goodies...

Oh, and at a definite crossroads music-wise, as I am starting to feel pretty old at shows.
Phillip Graham

xonlocust

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2004, 06:45:22 PM »

hi class-

nick kraska.  i'm in a band called new black.  http://www.newblack.net  we've been lucky enough to work in some fancy studios and tour a bunch.  bands you've probably never heard of that i played in were fleur-de-lis, ng kindheit, mal vu, south of no north. i also have done a good amount of soundtrack shit for modern dance with a nyc dancer nora stephens.

i got a 4 track in 92 and just fucked around with my own stuff and making my old band's practice tapes sound as good as i could.  in 96 i recorded at a "real studio" which was a 1" 16tk in a basement, but singing into a U87 was a lifechanging event that made me want to really pursue recording.  eventually i got an 8 tk, then 16 - prolly on the verge of going to 2".

i used to record bands out of my practice space but now i'm kinda all over freelancing wherever.   i've been in the painfully long and tedious process of building my attic out for my studio - all while working a day job (we all know there's no money in indie rock right? Smile) and touring w/the band.  

i'm in the middle of a few recording projects for local bands right now... just trying to get better at what i do slowly but surely. what's the saying, the older you get the more you realize the less you know?

nick

j.hall

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2004, 09:39:32 AM »

gtphill wrote on Mon, 15 November 2004 17:37

I am a 25 year old .....

Oh, and at a definite crossroads music-wise, as I am starting to feel pretty old at shows.

YOU'RE 25!!!!!!!!!!

hahahaha

imagine how the rest of us feel at shows.

i went to see ted leo a few nights back......all the kids with "x" on their hands sat down on the floor (right up at the stage) in between bands.

they SAT DOWN.

not only would the thought of sitting down on a club floor make me want to vomit, but what the hell is that all about.

as my buddy chris said...."hey, that just makes it easier for me to get right up front....."

Phillip Graham

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2004, 01:05:40 PM »

j.hall wrote on Tue, 16 November 2004 09:39

I am a 25 year old .....

YOU'RE 25!!!!!!!!!!

hahahaha

My point exactly...

Has the concert going demographic always been as young as it is now?
Phillip Graham

weihfool

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2004, 03:30:34 PM »

gtphill wrote on Tue, 16 November 2004 13:05

j.hall wrote on Tue, 16 November 2004 09:39

I am a 25 year old .....

YOU'RE 25!!!!!!!!!!

hahahaha

My point exactly...

Has the concert going demographic always been as young as it is now?

I know what you mean, Phil.  My friend plays in a band called Straylight Run and I went to see him on his first night of tour and I would almost swear that I was the oldest guy in the place, barring the staff of the place.  Granted I'm 29 and the average listener of my friend's band is probably 15, but it was pretty ridiculous.  

I went to see Helmet this past Sunday and I actually felt like I was surrounded mainly by people from my age group.  Most everyone there was in their late 20's/early 30's.  I think there might've been a few in attendance that would qualify as early 20's, but no more than 10 that I saw.  

So, I guess it depends on which band you're going to see.  

... damn it, it's guaranteed that I fucked up if I don't preview my messages before posting them.  

el duderino

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2004, 03:35:41 PM »

thats why i always see bands in bars. no meddling kids are around..*S* I actually went to roseland a couple weeks ago to see some friends play and almost the whole crowd was 15. it suits their music, but man, thank god i could retreat to the vip bar.

NelsonL

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2004, 04:06:19 PM »

I'm just in favor of shows being attended.

Over 21 does not a good venue make.

NYC case in point for Assman (nice handle) Piano's is a POS venue, and it's 21 and up. I'd rather play some kids living room than a sterile self-important box.

But yeah, I'm no kid anymore and seeing the same thing rehashed over and over with a constantly rotating cast of fresh new faces gets kind of old.

I'm sure somebody somewhere felt that way about me when I was 20.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 15 queries.