R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: your go to bass plug in  (Read 7186 times)

judah

Re: your go to bass plug in
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2004, 05:11:27 AM »

Patheticus wrote on Sat, 18 December 2004 01:25

I've been having a lot of good luck with the URS plug ins also. I bought the Classic Console N and A bundle, which I like. But the fulltec is where it's at in my opinion. That's definetly my next plug-in purchase. I wish I would have bought it instead of the CC bundle. The A and N series also do some bizzar sh*t when they clip. I tried to contact URS a couple times about my disatisfaction with those plug-ins over the fulltec but they wont return my e-mails. Blah blah. The plug-ins sound better than any other regardless.

Sorry, no chance for me to try the Fulltec, I'm running DP and URS says that they don't have any plan to move their plugins to AU apart from the Classics. BTW, talkin' about clipping, do you find yourself clipping easily on the URS? Please explain your previous statement. After few more days with the URS I can safely say that I never heard an EQ plugin sounding better than this. Just got DP4.5 and heard a lot of great things about their MW EQ, and compared to the URS they are on a different planet. Beeing using the URS Classic for about a week and I'm stunned.
Tried the A on: kick, snare, bass and guitars
Tried the N on: snare, overs+rooms, guitars, vocals
Amazing.

R.
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL
Laboratorio di registrazione sonora

"I'm fucking busy and vice versa."
Dolly Parton

japhy4529

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2004, 10:10:14 AM »

phairphunk wrote on Wed, 15 December 2004 13:20

I don't have the RBI, I just have the little pedal Sansamp, but I refuse to use any other sort of DI when I track.

As a bass player, I'm in the process of updating my rig, and the Sans is going to be my pre.  Just that into a power amp into a cab.

That's what I do right now (except I use the sans amp pedal into a mackie 1400i into a hartke 1 X 15" XL cab).  It sounds great, but I would like to save up for the rackmount RBI version, so that I can tweak the mid's.  

As for the original question regarding Bass plug-in's.. I don't really deal with plug in's since I track/mix with a mackie d8b/MDR.  The only plugins are in the d8b and they are fairly basic (i can't find/afford the UFX cards, only have MFX).  I generally run the bass (through the sansamp and/or a UA 2610 preamp which sounds PHAT).  This preamp sounds amazing on everything from bass (direct), guitar cabs, overheads, kick, snare, piano, vox, etc..).  this is our main "go to pre" at my studio (of course we only have one other pre a dbx 576, so it's kind of a no-brainer!).  hehe.

i would like to pick up a dbx 160x rackmount compressor for tracking, and a UA1 PCI card for mixing (that would entail flying the tracks back and forth from the MDR to the PC, but from what i've heard about the UA1 card and the 1176/LA2 comps, it would be well worth it).

peesow,
tom
"That any of us have jobs is thanks to the bands we get to record and the audiences they have attracted. They are the engine that drags this whole choo-choo of assholes with cellphones behind it, and we should all respect that."
- Steve Albini

Fibes

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2004, 10:48:59 AM »

Thanks to the CAPE project I was introduced to the DUY plugs via Charles Dye and i must say they keep growing on me. DUY Shape can really come in handy for tailoring bass. DUYvalve is pretty cool too. Check out the demos and give em time. They are subtle and not so subtle, check 'em out... The widener is super too, much more coherant than the Waves one, but, it ain't for bass...
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Jason Phair

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2004, 01:43:09 AM »

Not a big fan of the dbx compressors on bass.  They've always sounded too clicky or too small or too both.
Jason Phair
Advanced Production Group
Dunkirk, NY
http://www.advancedproductiongroup.com

Formerly:
Sound Services
SUNY Fredonia

Get that fucking thing off my vocal will ya?

Thanks.

King Whistle

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2004, 03:02:42 AM »

I have over and over used the SansAmp Bass Driver (pedal), and it always works GREAT in a rock mix. No mucking about.
  I use a Demeter pre and FMR comp sometimes, and then Waves Ren Ax on it afterward. I like that , too.
Jaguar Recording Studio
http://jaguarstudio.com

Lee Knight

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2005, 04:18:23 PM »

Trash!

antti

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2005, 08:52:32 AM »

For me personally bass guitar is the most difficult instrument to get it
right in digital audio (with drums of course). I used to work in a studio that
had a 16trk 2" (running at 15ips, no nr) and it was easy to record bass back then. The only problem was that it was so damn big that I most of the times had to HPFiltered it a little bit.
Now it's the other way around. Also it seems like there's an 'octave above the fundamental' missing (or not added if compared to working on tape).  

Here is what I use.. depending on the source and style of course.

Software:

Rectify (to add an 'octave above' the fundamental.. with some overdrive or not.
Not quite the same as the tape sound but helps it being less sterile at least)
Lo-fi (Add some distortion and/or saturation)
Pultec or Filterbank Eq (w/ 60Hz Boost or so) to LA2A/1176/Fairchild/Reneissance Comp/Compressor Bank. Caferul not to dull it though.. depending
on the style again.
I've had some good results with the 'Big Bottom(ius)' too. And C4 or any mbc
makes sense too. Depends where the problem is really.

Hardware:

Or just send it to an outboard EQ/Comp/Synthesizer Input w/ LPF,whatever.
Sometimes I send it to my EH Bif Muff and then I'll mix the clean
and the Muff. Paying attention to phase of course when mixing the 2 signals.
Also, every now and then I re-amp it through a guitar/bass rig or even the ctrl room monitors to add some colour and 'air'.  

Hope this helps,

Antti

Pete_Weaver

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2005, 05:48:21 PM »

No Prob . . .

1. DUY DAD VALVE - set to the E. bass preset
2. WAVES RENAISSANCE COMPRESSOR - bass preset but then I typically set attack to around 10 to 20ms and long release, 199ms. Set threshold to taste to make it sound smooth.
3. WAVES RENAISSANCE EQ - usually dip around 250 to 300hz to
clear up some mud and perhaps a boost in the mids to
upper mids if needed.

That's it!

Here's some example of tone:

http://www.halftheworld.cc/music.html
Pete Weaver - Audio Engineer / Musician / Composer
Half The World
www.halftheworld.cc
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 17 queries.