R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone hear the new Pinback?  (Read 3975 times)

Bivouac

Anyone hear the new Pinback?
« on: October 21, 2004, 05:57:40 AM »

I went to the music store yesterday to bring home some new tunes.  One of these CD's was the new Pinback.  While I'm not sure it's better than "Blue Screen Life", it sounds really, really good and features some band dynamics that are little different from what they've previously done.  It also features lot's of real drums and piano sounds...oh well

I was in major label mood I guess--took a break from everything.  Walked away with the new Snow Patrol record (after a friend recommended I give them a listen--don't know what to think yet), the new Jimmy Eat World, and Denver Harbour's debut.

The new Jimmy has the worst mastering I've ever heard on a record.  Squashed to hell and basically in mono; I might as well be listening to it on radio.  There's a few really good songs though--I wasn't expecting much.  I bought the Denver Harbour because I was really impressed by them live.  It's the kid prodigy (now older) drummer from F.O.N. and the singer from Riverfenix (haha, I know).  It's really well played and interesting all the way through.  A solid hard rock record...

Ok, back to looking for cool new indie bands....

j.hall

Re: Anyone hear the new Pinback?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 03:36:50 PM »

not heavy rock....but brilliantly written songs

Kid Dakota's new record has been out for a while and i just got it......it's BRILLIANT.

and it sounds incredible.

http://kiddakota.com/

10,000 lakes is the mp3 off the new record, and it's not nearly the best track.

mogwailoveyou

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 03:48:01 PM »

what i heard of the pinback was extremely similar to their old stuff, not that that's a bad thing at all, i love their playful style. the new jew is soooo bad, it's quite tragic how they have taken every single bad cliche you could come up with about emo bands "selling out" and given it new meaning. maybe the emo game is right and we should all do battle against them in their golden spaceship using 7"s as projectile weapons...

if you like snow patrol you should check out the reindeer section. they are pretty much the scottish superband but is mainly done by the main guy from snow patrol, not to mention having members of mogwai, belle and sebastian, arab strap, and idlewild (to name  a few) also in the band. catchy pop music, 'tis nice.
mogwai love you and need you

redelephant

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 03:55:05 PM »

I really like the new Pinback. However I liked it better when they used lo-fi samples rather then the Battery or Drumkit from Hell patches. The drums sound so rock this time, which is a cool change but I think the previous drum tones worked better with their style. Those guys' voices are crazy incredible.

I kind of dig some of the tracks off the new JEW record. Could be better, but that seems to be the theme behind every new JEW record.

Chad Sims

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 04:50:34 PM »

Does Jimmy Eat World have a new producer or not.  The only track I have heard is the new single and although it might just be a case of least challenging song so its the single, it sound rather dull for a JEW song.  How does the rest of the album compare.  The song was really good by the way and maybe I am just being too picky because I have just come to expect so much from JEW.  

Bivouac

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 06:11:19 PM »

The new producer is Gil Norton, and frankly I'm shocked at what this sounds like.  Word is Trombino had his hand in on a couple of songs though...

"Pain" is rather dull.  "Kill", "The World You Love", and "Work" are brilliant pop songs though--they alone were worth buying the album.  The rest kind of follows suit with "Pain".  "Night Drive" is unlistenable...

I like a lot of the drum sounds on the new Pinback, but I loved a lot of the LoFi stuff too.  Yeah, they don't explore a lot of new ground (a lot more piano...) but it's a solid installment.  The vocal harmonization is really good...

Thank you for the recommendations.  I wasn't aware of a Raindeer Section, supergroups are always fun.  I've been buying up a lot of Mogwai lately too...

I'll check out Kid Dakota too...

Again, I appreciate it...

Hey, as long as we're throwing out albums we've been getting into.  Anyone into Owen?  Matt Kinsella's one-man-band type thing?  It kind of fills a void left by American Football.  Really good acoustic recordings...I'd kill to know what preamps he used...

NelsonL

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 06:36:21 PM »

I know it sounds cliched to plug their old band-- but you guys like three mile pilot? They did some great stuff with Trombino.

I kind of prefer them to pinback, plus they were an amazing live act.

In case you don't know:

pinback-singer+blackheartsprocession=threemilepilot.

There will not be a quiz!

Don't you hate people who only like a bands "older stuff." I really don't mean to be that guy on this forum. I like the Walkmen better than Jonathan Fire Eater, does that count?

mogwailoveyou

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 06:44:13 PM »

i always get the kinsella brothers mixed up. haha i love bands with brothers... apparently tim has a new project called make believe (without mike but with the other brother nate,) although i'm more a fan of mike's work. owen is such lovely music and i love the guitar work that american football did, i like to refer to it as organicemomathrock (decipher what you will from that) I still need to hear the owls as it once again has all of the brothers back together again, i just hope it's better than joan of arc, as a lot of that really was lost on me.

mogwailoveyou

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 06:55:32 PM »

rattleyour wrote on Thu, 21 October 2004 17:36

I Don't you hate people who only like a bands "older stuff." I really don't mean to be that guy on this forum. I like the Walkmen better than Jonathan Fire Eater, does that count?

never. bands never progress a musician is only pure on his first attempt  Rolling Eyes. god the walkmen rock live... i was hit by his micstand twice at the last show... always love singers that sound like bob dylan on heroin singing lounge songs.

pall jenkins is such a great singer. i love the stuff he did with the album leaf on their new one. any album that has the album leaf/sigur ros/pall jenkins all in one place is definately worth the money.

Bo

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 02:57:07 PM »

pinback is excellent.  especially the SECOND time you ever see them live.  I'm serious.
"knifing prostitots - one at a time"

mogwailoveyou

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 05:25:53 PM »

Bo wrote on Fri, 03 December 2004 13:57

pinback is excellent.  especially the SECOND time you ever see them live.  I'm serious.

did you see them at trees with tree wave?

Bivouac

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2004, 03:06:51 AM »

For serious?  I saw them a few weeks ago for the first time and I thought they sucked.  Like REALLY sucked, almost a disgrace to their recorded music.  They're playing again on New Year's Eve and I might consider going if you could explain why...

Bo

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2004, 03:00:43 PM »

mogwailoveyou wrote on Fri, 03 December 2004 22:25

did you see them at trees with tree wave?

yes, and i know they screwed up some, but seriously - they had such a chill vibe that night.  I was happy, as were my music snob friends...

(I've seen them 3 times total)
"knifing prostitots - one at a time"

Fibes

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2004, 03:42:41 PM »

rattleyour wrote on Thu, 21 October 2004 18:36

I like the Walkmen better than Jonathan Fire Eater, does that count?

I like Nick Cave better than Jonathan Fire Eater... JFE was one of my least favorite NY bands of that era. JFE a'poser...
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

NelsonL

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2004, 04:56:44 PM »

Fibes wrote on Mon, 06 December 2004 12:42

rattleyour wrote on Thu, 21 October 2004 18:36

I like the Walkmen better than Jonathan Fire Eater, does that count?

I like Nick Cave better than Jonathan Fire Eater... JFE was one of my least favorite NY bands of that era. JFE a'poser...

I bet JFE liked the Birthday Party better than Nick Cave-- or their own band.

Don't tell me you're an Unsane fan.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 19 queries.