R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: adjusting an APR5003V 1/4"  (Read 1361 times)

ammitsboel

adjusting an APR5003V 1/4"
« on: October 19, 2004, 09:04:49 PM »

Der John and all the others in here!  Razz

I've adjusted tape guides and azimuth on my Sony APR5003V 1/4".
When I look at the scope(showing face), it shows a small face differ now and then... but how much is ok?
when I'm looking at 1k there is a small face differ(almost a straigt line on the scope), and it's almost constant. But when I'm playing the 8k and higher i can see that the fase is moving a little and then becomming a straight line and then moving again and etc....

Is this how it should be?
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

bobkatz

Re: adjusting an APR5003V 1/4"
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 11:25:53 PM »

ammitsboel wrote on Tue, 19 October 2004 21:04

Der John and all the others in here!  Razz

I've adjusted tape guides and azimuth on my Sony APR5003V 1/4".
When I look at the scope(showing face), it shows a small face differ now and then... but how much is ok?
when I'm looking at 1k there is a small face differ(almost a straigt line on the scope), and it's almost constant. But when I'm playing the 8k and higher i can see that the fase is moving a little and then becomming a straight line and then moving again and etc....

Is this how it should be?

Depends on how much the Lissajoux is opening up! I'm not an expert on the number of "degrees" that are tolerable, but I can say that the two lips of the Lissajoux should be "kissing" most of the time and if at all, just opening up a hair with the 20 kHz test tone. If it starts to look like a pair of lips that are spaced more often than they are touching, then it's too much. That said, I think that the audibility of "a little wobbly azimuth" is not that bad; and it will be rather hard to hear, mostly resulting in a "vague" stereo image and slightly less coherent sound quality.

Here's a hint: Make sure the head is properly centered (rotation) and has good wrap and your tension is right. Often if you're right on the edge of the gap and the gap is a little pitted, you can get a poor looking azimuth. Just take a finger and gently touch the tape closer to the left and right side of the gap and see if the output goes up or the azimuth gets steadier.
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Level

Re: adjusting an APR5003V 1/4"
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 12:37:44 AM »

It sounds like a worn guide or a feed that could be moving the tape ever so slightly..or even a bad piece of mylar. Torque and tension (proper) plus guidepath should keep things quite constant to 11K IMVHO. A speck of impurities on a guide can affect HF stability.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 20 queries.