R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Why wouldn't you want to talk about your product in a public forum?  (Read 5672 times)

Bear

I'm not going to email for information when the vendor is right here to answer questions on his product.

Folks so lame as that are not getting my money.

Not saying anymore.

Bear

rvdsm

Re: Why wouldn't you want to talk about your product in a public forum?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 11:13:17 PM »

Welcome to the RecPit, bear.
We walked along and talked along till we came to the levelest ground....then I picked up a stick of wood and I knocked that Boston bitch down!

JackJohnston

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 12:52:39 AM »

The vendors who so gracefully give their time on the rec-pit for the benefit of all of us, try to maintain a separation between the marketing of their products and the advice they freely give.

We should respect them and their decisions on these matters.

Jack Johnston

Level

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 07:25:13 PM »

I often wonder how this "it is so terribly taboo to hawk products in a forum" stuff started. I suppose it is sheer Jealousy and not just greed..although you would think greed is part of the picture...oftentimes it is not.

Face it, one mans gold is another's trash. If this were not true, we would not have thousands of different automobiles to choose from in the market place.

Seems the fine line between boasting of someones product and the creator boasting of their products is not so fine at all. I see people ALL THE TIME talking about how killer this or that is...all the while...who knows if the owners put them up to it(?) and this is allowed free reign of conversation out of "diversity" and meanwhile you have someone who believes in their products highly as a problem solver for a certain application..get slapped down and told to go to hell. I actually produce some products as well..but I have NEVER spoke of any of them nor have I linked the info to anyone in a PM or otherwise. I have had people ask me how is so and so going..to respond in private to email me off line. I am working on a research project that has been going on right at 17 years. I will go public with it after AES. Besides the for sale areas (I am not selling a product with this venture...it is a concept) to get this in the peoples hands that want to learn about it and take off on their own with the technology..however they see fit is something I feel would be announce-able for dialog purposes...but freedom to share technical information is what these forums are all about! Freedom to say, I have the Zonko 21, everyone needs it, it kicks ass, you should buy one from me...is taboo.

All in all, people get their feelings hurt. Money is at stake. Pride is at stake and honor is at stake. If you do not mind getting cattle prodded some for sticking your neck out, you are not prepared for the business world.

As far as Bear goes, I have no clue what he is referring to and I leave it at that. I just feel that so much hidden advertising is allowed to go on but when a direct connection to a "said product" is reveled, people go into "lets skewer this person" mode.

Agreed?

Their are places to hawk products..it seems forums are not one of them unless you have someone else going to bat for you.
http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

trexrox

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 04:56:56 AM »

I see people talking about their products all the time around here.  I don't see people getting attacked when it's for the right reasons, in fact, it's usually applauded.

When someone makes a post that says "hey buy my product" then, that just isn't what these forums are about, and seems rude.  But when someone chimes in to give information about their product, it is sometimes the best part about these forums.

There have been more than a few questions answered by several of the boutique manufacturers on these boards, and noone is telling them to stop or leave.  Whether they want to post or not, is their personal choice.

What isn't neccessary is for the boards to become free ad space for anyone selling anything.  It produces clutter.  There is already ad space < ^ for this.  If anything, this is at least fair, because it's open to anyone who wants to pay for it.  If you are looking for a place to put an ad up, that is the place for it.  Not amongst the informative conversations in the forums.

djui5

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 12:54:31 PM »

Bear wrote on Tue, 19 October 2004 18:28

I'm not going to email for information when the vendor is right here to answer questions on his product.

Not saying anymore.

Bear

Because this is a forum of professionals who discuss gear and the biz in general.
This isn't a marketing outlet for high profile manufacturer's.......
We all know their products....and it dosen't need to be said. It wouldn't be proper for them to self market on here....and would turn a lot of high profile professionals away from the place.
I'm glad people like GM and Klaus share the knowledge they do.....and dont' want them pushing their products on me either...

Think about it.
Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

seriousfun

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 03:15:21 PM »

Is my signature spam? Lame? Pushing? Pulling?

Would it be worse if I participated in these forums and did not identify myself?
doug osborne | my day job

JackJohnston

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 10:21:23 PM »

I almost always look for comments by vendors and a few of the really great engineers who vist these forums first. I think just about everybody here has great admiration for the high end gear designers, and loves to hear their opinions of their products.

What I thought was so ridiculous about the initial post was the posters lack of respect toward anybody who freely gives their time for the benefit of others.

Although, I agree that it's great when a product designer says exactly what they think without fear of ramifications. The customer may have been asking questions that were intrusive. Hell, I've probably done that. But I would never complain if I didn't get an answer, and he shouldn't either.

It's just great that the vendor's give so much.

Jack Johnston

Fibes

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 02:11:40 PM »

I have a feeling Bear would be whining if it were the other way around, really, I'm completely positive of that.  BTW Great first post, almost sad but completely dull and yes, anon.

There is a feature on here called the private message, where I have found manufacturers, designers, pimps etc. to be incredibly detailed and forthcoming in a one to one undistracted exchange of ideas and information.

Try it, it's almost as good as campers coated in honey. Almost.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

lucey

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2004, 04:18:01 PM »

Bear wrote on Tue, 19 October 2004 19:28

Not saying anymore.

Bear

Your premise is flawed ... they're not "here to answer questions on his product."  They may choose to do so or not.

In fact, they're here to moderate a forum about many things, and they set an example in so doing.  To talk product is a slippery slope for some and you should respect this.

Everything is not about money and commercial conerns ... get it?

Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

lucey

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2004, 04:21:11 PM »

seriousfun wrote on Thu, 21 October 2004 14:15

Is my signature spam? Lame? Pushing? Pulling?

Would it be worse if I participated in these forums and did not identify myself?

just right Doug ...
Brian Lucey
Magic Garden Mastering

"the economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the ecology" - unknown

Bear

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2004, 06:42:28 PM »

Perhaps this is why I stopped frequenting these forums.  I've been here before, that wasn't my first PSW post, just the first since the reformat.  I'm anonymous because I don't want my gear ripped off, and because one hate's having one's online life haunting one's actual professional career.  Ask Mixerman about that sometime.

There are two sides to this - it's great to have forums be not purely be about pimping, but these forums can also allow a hell of a lot more of useful information to flow from the designer to the end user than most ad material can.  I had asked one of the mods about a new piece of gear, appearing in several mags and on the mfg's website, but with the most bare information accompanying.  I see no harm in factually answering a point blank question about a piece of hardware regarding objective features, and I do not see that as a slippery slope to the PSW Pimp of the Year paegent.  I suppose that's foolish to expect a person to give a straight answer when asked a question - weird thing, not getting the straight answer is more what I would expect from a pimp.  I don't know the mod's motivations.  I don't really give a rat's ass.  If I don't have good info on a product, I don't buy it, and I'll move on to an alternate product where good info has been made available, one way or another.

If anyone wants to crucify me further for reiterating the element of commerce, fine.  Talk to some of the mods sometime about why they left another recording forum site.  Yes, we are all being purely altruistic here.  Who wants to sing a round of "Kumbaya"?  Damn commies.

Bear

John Ivan

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 07:05:51 PM »

If you really don't like him/her,{ Who knows what he's even talking about}? You shouldn't do biz with him. I mean, if he didn't have an answer for you that you liked, you should move on , hey? In the mean time, could you not be such a pussy about this? I don't know who ya are or what ya do and I could give a fuck. Just grow up......

Thanks......
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Bear

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2004, 07:11:45 PM »

ivan40 wrote on Tue, 28 December 2004 00:05

If you really don't like him/her,{ Who knows what he's even talking about}? You shouldn't do biz with him. I mean, if he didn't have an answer for you that you liked, you should move on , hey? In the mean time, could you not be such a pussy about this? I don't know who ya are or what ya do and I could give a fuck. Just grow up......

Thanks......

Yet you feel compelled to reply to the thread.  That's what I love about PSW.

John Ivan

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2004, 08:30:33 PM »

Bear wrote on Tue, 19 October 2004 19:28

Not saying anymore.

Bear

Hey, look,, sorry I was such a prick but, Read above. It's just silly to think that a vendor should enter into detailed info here unless the subject of a post leads the conversation in that direction. Take Fletcher as an example. I have never had to call on his services but, some day, maybe even this year at the new studio, I will want to talk to him about some audio enhancement devices. I can't for one moment believe he or anyone else would want to have this conversation in front of the world. If I wanted Brad to master something for me, I would call the shop. If I wanted to hire  Studio Jimmy as a stripper [which of course, I've done many times.:-}.]
I would call or E-mail him.

If someone asked you to E-mail them regarding the details of a product, what is the big deal? There could be any of a thousand reasons for this. Your post is totally confusing and made me wonder why you didn't E-mail him per his request.

And, because they wont share on the forum, the info you want, they are lame??

Maybe there is way more to this. In that case, what are you doing posting it here?

P.S. People know my name and my phone number and where I live. I don't think anyone is going to steal my gear. God help them if they try.

Bye now..
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 20 queries.