R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: unbalanced inserts  (Read 2040 times)

keeno

unbalanced inserts
« on: October 08, 2004, 09:16:41 AM »

Hi,
I’ve a Trident 80B console  and I wonder how to connect my balanced gear to the unbalanced inserts. Should I lift pin 1 at the load ? And do I have to terminate my transformer balanced gear with a 600Ohm resistor between pin 2&3?
Thanks a lot -keeno
Shocked

Fletcher

Re: unbalanced inserts
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 10:26:21 AM »

On stuff that wants to see a 600 ohm load at it's output... yeah, it's probably a good idea to add the load... but where to add it?  I rarely use inserts, more often than not I will put outboard gear before the input to the channel, which generally means a balanced input to the desk, and depending on the desk, it's usually set up for a proper load.  Very little equipment in current manufacture requires a 600 ohm load, so it has become less and less of an issue.

As far as wiring goes, that will depend more on the ground scheme you have chosen for your studio than anything else.  The one thing you definitely want to make sure happens is that you have both the hot and the neutral connected when coming to and from a balanced unit... as far as what happens with Pin 1, that will be defined by the grounding scheme of the facility.

I hope this is of some assistance.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

JPRisus

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 01:41:50 PM »

I'm with Fletcher on putting gear between the tape/DAW output and the channel input, unless there's a specific reason why this wouldn't work for you. Especially on those Trident desks which can be picky about impedance loading on the inserts. Come to think of it, i haven't used an insert in about 3-4 years...

I was chatting with someone recently who asked about building a rack of transformer-balanced i/o stages for balancing his unbalanced inserts, all 24 or 32 of them (can't remember exactly). I played devil's advocate for a minute and went along with the idea, til he realized the cost of this rack would be more than some of his outboard pieces. The plus would be some extra iron, which is a nice idea. But I convinced him to use the tape output/line input 'insert' method and it's been working fine for him.
J.P. Sheganoski
Engineer/Mixer
www.RisusProductions.com
Purevolume.com/risusproductions

keeno

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 01:38:48 PM »

Thank you guys! I'll give it a try! I read I have to terminate the output of my La-3A? Is this the same with the LA2A and 1176LN? what is if I patch them on the line inputs ?
thanks.k.

JPRisus

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 01:50:36 PM »

keeno, you only have to terminate the negative pin to ground if you're using the unbalanced inserts, which you shouldn't use anyway. Are your DAW/tape outputs balanced? if so, stay balanced throughout and you'll be fine! The Trident line inputs are definitely balanced.
J.P. Sheganoski
Engineer/Mixer
www.RisusProductions.com
Purevolume.com/risusproductions

kbshearer

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 12:52:18 AM »

Hey guys,

While we're talking about the 80b, I saw another thread that stated that ALL the outputs are unbalanced. Is this true? Really? All the buss outs? You think I'd know this, I've had one of the damn things since 1990. Also, does anyone know what the impedance is of the main stereo out? Can't find it in the manual. ONE MORE THING.....Tri-tech audio in the UK seems to have vanished. I was getting parts from them. Are they gone and if so, where do we go now for switches and other stuff?
Thanks very much for your time.....
Kirt Shearer
Paradise Studios
Sacramento, Ca
www.paradisestudios.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.