R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: how do I test electronic components?  (Read 12523 times)

Seeker-Ian

how do I test electronic components?
« on: October 05, 2004, 03:57:12 PM »

Ok stupid questions. if this should be moved to kletts forum, move it.

I was told to...  
Quote:

"Junction test the transiters"

how do i do this? just see if it measures voltage on my multi-meter?

Quote:

"Just ohm the burnt resistors, and replace".

how do I "ohm" them?

Quote:

"Junction test the transistors and replace the bad one(s) or shotgun all of them".

shotgun means to replace em all without testing? and again.. junction test?

Quote:

"Check the i/o caps, or shotgun them".

i assume he means to check for leaking caps. how would i check and verify before and after voltages?

Quote:

"Put an AC voltmeter on pins 1 and 7 of the op amps and see if you have signal. If you do, look at both sides of the output caps. Compare left channel w/ right to see what's supposed to be there."

I think i can do this.

djui5

Re: how do I test electronic components?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 06:26:48 PM »

damm techies..

the only one I know is the "ohm test"....just see what kinda resistance (ohms) you get from the resistors..and if it's incorrect then you need to replace them....
Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

Seeker-Ian

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 06:37:49 PM »

so... send some voltage through the resisters, check the printed value of the resisters, then do the math?

I need a good web site for learning and applying this stuff.

I feel like such an idiot for not knowing this basic stuff.

craig boychuk

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 06:46:52 PM »

You can find a simple color code chart here

http://xtronics.com/kits/rcode.htm

I'll bet if you google some of the topics you're looking for, you will come up with some good info...

-Craig
Capture the pasture rapture.
www.cbaudio.com

Sahib

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 05:57:46 PM »

CKerian,

I hope you will not be offended by this but this is not the forum that you should be writing with this sort of problems.

I am sure some people wished to say this but I am prepared to be the bady in this instance.

Regards,
Cemal Ozturk

trexrox

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 02:51:01 AM »

Sahib wrote on Wed, 06 October 2004 17:57

CKerian,

I hope you will not be offended by this but this is not the forum that you should be writing with this sort of problems.

I don't see why not... This should fit right in with the purpose of this forum.  While the topic may be a bit elementary to an experienced tech, it's not for someone who is just starting out... and that seems to be what this forum is about: demistifying the technical aspects of audio gear.  And part of that is understanding components and how to test/ diagnose them.

Sorry, I don't have anything else to add at the time, but I just wanted to say that I'm in favor of allowing posts such as these to help out some up-and-coming techs as well as the more intensive posts for the well-rounded solder heads.

Sahib

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 04:54:39 AM »

This topic was already posted at Mixerman forum and I also thought that due to the level of the subjects discussed and the calibre of individuals ( myself excluded ) involved it was a bit out of place. However, this is by no means snobbing it as my brother ( Barish ) already replied to it in detail with even resistor codes in Mixerman's forum.
Finally,  I did not speak out for anybody else and it was purely my own view. I did not mean to offend anybody and I will terminate this discussion with this post.

Regards,
Cemal Ozturk

Seeker-Ian

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 11:00:22 AM »

hey Shaib. it's cool. I wasnt really sure.

and thank you Will, well said IMHO.

In hindsight, I think it is the wrong forum. i saw the title "theory to practice" and thought.. cool a electrical forum for maybe beginners or something.

dont we always bitch that most AE's dont know enough about the electrical engineering aspect of recording?

I knew it was the wrong place as soon as I noticed a lack of interest.

it's all cool. Issue resolved.

junction test failed on a transister.

crazydoc

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 12:02:26 PM »

danlavry wrote on Fri, 01 October 2004 20:40

This forum is about the why and how of audio technology. It is about the electronic and electromechanical bridge between musician and listener.

....The goal of this forum is to improve our technical understanding, which also helps achieve better end results.

...The majority of "ear types" are not well equipped with science, engineering and math which are the foundations of audio technology. The majority of "technical types" lack studio experience. The challenge here is to communicate with people with wide range of interests and experiences. That and being objective requires care and cooperation from all participants.

I think this type of question fits in with the goals of this forum. There is a wide disparity of knowledge here, both technical and recording-wise, and threads that start at the beginning, or are elementary, I would think have a place here, if only to post links to other fora or sites where the subject is well covered.

Peter Wilcox

Sahib

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2004, 01:42:54 PM »

CKerian wrote on Thu, 07 October 2004 16:00

hey Shaib. it's cool. I wasnt really sure.

and thank you Will, well said IMHO.

In hindsight, I think it is the wrong forum. i saw the title "theory to practice" and thought.. cool a electrical forum for maybe beginners or something.

dont we always bitch that most AE's dont know enough about the electrical engineering aspect of recording?

I knew it was the wrong place as soon as I noticed a lack of interest.

it's all cool. Issue resolved.

junction test failed on a transister.

I'm cool too cKerian. Barish was asking me about your  transistor and last time I passed by him he was deep into his instructions to you. I hope you fix the problem and I would like to congratulate you for taking on a problem like that. It seems like you are doing all the right things.

Regards,

Rail Jon Rogut

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2004, 06:16:19 PM »

Found this link: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_4/3.html

Which may help you.

Rail
Recording Engineer

www.platinumsamples.com

Engineered Drums for BFD & Superior Drummer 2.0

crazydoc

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2004, 07:55:07 PM »

Here's a meta thread from The Lab, a site where meta-info can be found about all things audio-electronic, and if you can't find it, just ask.
http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=349

Peter Wilcox

Seeker-Ian

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2004, 12:49:22 AM »

Thanks for those links everyone. I am getting pretty heavy into this thanks to everyone so i will be checking those links for sure. I just ordered my first $100.00 worth of soldering tools, transisters, and switches. resisters and caps to come once I figurte out those exact values I need.

it's already becoming like multiple trips to the hardware store and I already need more stuff

keep those links coming and maybe the available options for learning.

technical, vocational, internet, DIY?

Sahib wrote on Thu, 07 October 2004 02:54

my brother ( Barish ) already replied to it.

Regards,
Cemal Ozturk

Special thanks to you and your brother Cemal!!!! I must have missed this post. I will definately keep you guys updated.

I actually posted here first but got stupidly impatient. haha. poor me.

Brian Roth

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2004, 02:01:20 AM »

A transistor is a "3-legged" device.  Using an ohm meter, you can check for "gross" failures.  From the base to emitter you should see a diode (relatively low resistance with the meter's leads connected one direction, very high resistance with the meter's leads flipped).  Same with the base to collector junction.  Collector to emitter should be high R with test leads in either configuration.  Experiment with a "known good" transistor to get the "feel" of how your meter responds.  Also keep in mind that "in circuit" tests like these may yield bogus results.

To "ohm" a given resistor, set your meter on the "ohms" scale and read the resistance, then compare it to the value marked on the part or in the schematic.  Again, "in circuit" numbers may be waaay off the mark.

"Shotgun" means to replace any/all suspect parts.

Testing caps requires that your metering gear can read capacitance values, and again, you might come up with bogus values while testing the parts in-circuit.

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com

Seeker-Ian

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2004, 05:01:12 PM »

Thanks Brian. all these lessons and posts are giving me a hell of a lesson.

thanks again everyone!! keep em coming.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.