R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Y-Cables - mic level - signal loss or OK?  (Read 2324 times)

zakco

Y-Cables - mic level - signal loss or OK?
« on: September 30, 2004, 02:59:12 PM »

Hi,

Is there any inherent problem with using a short (10') Y-cable to split a mic signal into two preamp channels for M/S recording?

I know it's OK with +4 signals, but how do mic levels fare in this situation?

Thanks,

-Zak

Barish

Re: Y-Cables - mic level - signal loss or OK?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 05:49:06 PM »

Y cables cause a 3dB drop on the signal level at the branches compared to the output level, so I don't think that there are any other side effects apart from that. That's something I have done a lot via patchbay and never encountered any other issues. or if there are any, I haven't noticed them.
M Ozturk

hollywood_steve

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 09:35:05 PM »

The usual response that I have seen to this question is that line level signals can take a "Y" split without problem, but that mic level signals are more susceptible to potential impedance and noise problems and that a suitable splitter should be used.

FWIW, I just purchased my first mic splitter, the Palmer Audio PMS-02.  Its a very sturdy little box (2 channel) and I've been unable to detect any impact on the audio with/without the unit in the signal path.

Brian Roth

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 12:46:07 AM »

It should depend upon the input impedances of the preamps.  If the input Z's are considerably higher than the output Z of the mic, paralleling preamps shouldn't cause any noticeable differences, although that may depend upon just how "sensitive" the mic is to load Z.

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com

John Klett

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 11:21:16 AM »

You don't want to do this for anything critical.  Anything that changes the loading that a mic sees will to some extent change the sound...  maybe not by much but by a little.  The amount of loss will vary from a little to quite a lot.
John Klett / Tech Mecca
http://www.technicalaudio.com

bobkatz

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 07:02:17 PM »

Barish wrote on Thu, 30 September 2004 17:49

Y cables cause a 3dB drop on the signal level at the branches compared to the output level, so I don't think that there are any other side effects apart from that. That's something I have done a lot via patchbay and never encountered any other issues. or if there are any, I haven't noticed them.

3 dB drop is not true.  Assuming a 150 ohm microphone and a 2K ohm input impedance for each input, then the loading with 2 in parallel is 1K. This is still effectively bridging. 0.6 dB more loss than with no Y cord and one channel. Into 1 K ohms I get 1.2 dB loss compared to open circuit. Into 2 K ohms I get .63 dB loss.

Remember: Turn the phantom on only one of the two channels.
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

zakco

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 01:34:39 PM »

john klett wrote on Fri, 01 October 2004 08:21

You don't want to do this for anything critical.  Anything that changes the loading that a mic sees will to some extent change the sound...  maybe not by much but by a little.  The amount of loss will vary from a little to quite a lot.

Ok. That does make sense.
The reason I was looking to use a Y cable, is for remote recording where I would like to monitor the M/S signal, but I do not have phase reverse on my little monitor desk. I can always hear it decoded on playback by reversing polarity in the software, but it looks like I'll need to make a couple of reverse-wired cables to handle the live monitoring. Or possibly buy a splitter box.

Thanks again,

-Zak

Barish

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 06:18:17 PM »

bobkatz wrote on Sat, 02 October 2004 00:02

3 dB drop is not true.  Assuming a 150 ohm microphone and a 2K ohm input impedance for each input, then the loading with 2 in parallel is 1K. This is still effectively bridging. 0.6 dB more loss than with no Y cord and one channel. Into 1 K ohms I get 1.2 dB loss compared to open circuit. Into 2 K ohms I get .63 dB loss.

Thanks Bob, that was an experimental value that I had reached at some point, I had never scientifically calculated it. I stand corrected.

Your "Mastering Audio" is one great book by the way, my bedtime reading for sometime. Thanks for that one too.

Regards,

Mahcem
M Ozturk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 16 queries.