R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Stephen Sank snake oil  (Read 20886 times)

Level

Re: Stephen Sank snake oil
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2005, 12:24:14 AM »

I have a set of JPS interconnections (Stereo pair analog useage) and the build quality is exceptional and I did not obtain these because of sonic mod issues...rather, very nice build quality. One thing for certain, in no way do they deteriorate the quality of transmission. As far as enhancing it, they don't do that either...so a huge thumbs up for JPS interconnections. I am pleased with performance/price/value.

http://balancedmastering.com

"Listen and Learn"
---Since 1975---

Norwood

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2005, 05:42:56 PM »

Level wrote on Sat, 05 March 2005 21:24

I have a set of JPS interconnections (Stereo pair analog useage) and the build quality is exceptional and I did not obtain these because of sonic mod issues...rather, very nice build quality. One thing for certain, in no way do they deteriorate the quality of transmission. As far as enhancing it, they don't do that either...so a huge thumbs up for JPS interconnections. I am pleased with performance/price/value.

Exactly, your interconnects shouldn't affect the sound.  The difference my friend noticed was how colored his previous cables were(monster sp1000), not how great the JPSs sounded.
Michael Norwood
Wood Bros. Productions

Bodoc

Re: Stephen Sank snakebit
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2005, 06:05:59 PM »

I've been following this thread with some interest and--as in the case of the infamous Fletcher/Sank flame exchange--some amusement.

I can't speak for others, but my experience with Mr. Sank has taken on a Monty Python flavor, a kind of entertaining, existential avoidance comedy skit--the Ministry of Silly Mods?

Latest episode of the saga: UPS delivered one of my microphones to him back on November 19, 2004.  Here it is March of 2005  and I have never had a communication from him nor do I have my microphone back (plead as I might).

Now understand: this is not the first time he's seen the same mike. It took him months to get it back to me the first time and, then, his modded mike didn't work when I tried to use it!  At that time I thought, well,  it's just a glitch. S*** happens.

Now, after many moons (and additional pleadings), I still don't have my microphone. It's hard not to laugh just thinking about this--after all, it's not a Neumann, it's just a cheap Nakamichi condenser.

As to Mr. Sank's customer service philosophy--I'll let you draw your own conclusion.

But it kinda makes the issue of "technical competence" a moot point, right?

londonbarn

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2005, 10:11:44 AM »

i also dont know what in the heck is going on with steve sank    i have sent a nyal moscode amplifier to him  along with over $5,000  to him to build a dream amplifier for me  at first the conversations were very good and then after a while  , no email answers anymore  , everytime i would call , he would sound nervous, and making me VERY suspicious ,   this all started 2002! and now i called recently and a girl answered (maybe his daughter) the phone and as soon as i mentioned steve  she sounded very dodgy and stated that she just got out of the shower and to call back in five minutes. well, you can guess what happened .  i call back and of course there is an answering machine.  all i want is for him to just BUILD the amp , i think it would really be awesome. but it looks like he wont even donate any of his time to this project.let alone give me my amp back. i live in england right now so i told him no hurry (trying to be nice), but now i fear he has screwed me. i have been (probably ) too nice and for some reason trust him . but i dont know what to think now, the guy just ignores all of us.  maybe he had a nervous breakdown ,  but this is just uncalled for!

bgarrett

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2005, 06:57:49 PM »

I believe that Stephen is an authority on ribbon mikes as well as audio equipment in general. He refurbed a CD/LD transport for me. I have been dying to try it out but I've been waiting for him to finish my DAC, a rare difficult-to-work-on Meitner Bidat that I sent to him for refurbishment. I spoke to him twice in the mean time, the last time in April of 2005. In between his moving and attemps to get a start-up company going, he told me in April 2005 that he finally got a set of schematics. He told me to expect something in June 2005 but I have been unsuccessful in contacting him for a status...

Stephen, please get back to me ASAP, I still recommend your work but I need communication on your status.

rectechmin

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2005, 09:20:36 PM »

i've had a bad experience with sank as well.  same deal -- took forever to get my mic back.  almost a year.  and after all that, i am sorry to say it sounds worse.  the output is nearly 20 db less than before.  i'm not sure what is going on with that guy, but i would never recommend him to anyone.

danickstr

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2005, 01:35:08 PM »

well this is a funny thread.  sad for some and entertaining for those of us who are benefitting from the chequered feedback of the sank-inator.  Baron von steve-o.  Hot-headed and irresponsible, talented and a hack all at once, according to those who have posted here.  

I tire of guys like this.  From the point of view of those he has treated irresponsibly, I think he should be ashamed of himself. Embarassed
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

londonbarn

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2005, 09:33:40 AM »

most definitely

hargerst

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2005, 11:09:54 AM »

It's sad, but I will cease recommending him to others.  He did a great job on my Beyer M260, but that was with me visiting him at his home on my way to AES.  I watched him make the ribbon and install it.  He was a craftsman, and he obviously was trying to follow in his father's footsteps.

Apparently, something has gone wrong in his life.  That's sad.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

londonbarn

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2005, 09:07:07 PM »

and it is that very "craftsman" that i would love to have build  the amp we talked about, damn

infotrad

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2005, 06:14:00 PM »

I sent Steve Sank my Moscode Minuet preamp for upgrading five months ago (it's now Oct. 16, 2005) and haven't had any news from him for over two months. What's more, his telephone number is now disconnected. So any help would be appreciated.

Jeff4h

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2005, 07:51:42 PM »

I have talked to Mr Sank on the phone and really liked him. I was going to send him some mics but due to what Ive read here Im going to wait, it is obvious to me that something has happened to him or something in his life has gone wrong. I for one intend to keep hime in my prayers, I had a similar experience with someone I sent a steel guitar to a few years ago. Come to find out he had a complete nervous breakdown and left home. He finally made things right, it didnt help I went months without the guitar but sometimes there are circumstances we dont understand, he seems to be a great talent and I hope he get things back on track, Im sure everyone would be understanding if he would just get in touch,it would be a lot better world if we tried to lift each other up instead of bashing each other all the time. I love this forum but there seems to be a lot of water under the bridge with some people,    Jeff

londonbarn

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2005, 08:14:02 PM »

WATER UNDER THE BRIDGE?           BASHING???????
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 20 queries.