R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AMT clip on mic  (Read 973 times)

floodstage

AMT clip on mic
« on: September 20, 2004, 11:30:44 am »

I ran sound for an outdoor music festival last weekend and one of the bands had a sax player that absolutley kicked ass.  Freaking jedi master if I've ever seen one.

He was using an AMT clip on mic.   (AMT = Applied Microphone Technology)

I had no problem getting exactly what I wanted to get into the PA.  None.

http://www.appliedmic.com/system1.asp

I record sax often in full bleed settings and after yesterday, I'm thinking about picking up one of these AMT's for that purpose.

Anyone else have any comments/experience with AMT clip on mics?

Thanks!

Fletcher

Re: AMT clip on mic
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 06:34:13 am »

I don't know the brand of the ones I've used [sometimes my attention to detail is a wee bit less than ruthless... I admit it], but I worked with a "horn band" live for a while and they all had clip on mics.

They worked great for live, so they wanted to try them in the studio... we did, they sucked.  Put up some old RCA's on the Saxes, a Fet 47 for the bone and a Sony C-37p for the trumpet and all was right with the world.

You can give it a shot in a studio environment, I'm sure the technology has improved since the last time I tried it... but I'd recommend having some good old stand by's on deck in case you don't find the tone you're trying to achieve for the recording in the first couple of minutes.

Best of luck with it!!
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

floodstage

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 11:55:37 pm »

I usually go for a Royer 121 if the sax is the only instrument in the booth/room.  Love what that mic does with a sax.

Still, when I record live/full bleed stuff, I often use clip ons for their extra isolation/volume control.  Just hoping the AMT might be  a better clip on than the ones I've tried so far.

I guess this is more of a live sound question.  Sorry to misplace a thread.

Techne

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 02:21:58 pm »

I'm a saxophonist by trade, and a recordist on the side.  The AMT mic's are the best clip on's  i have heard for live applications.  I've used one in the studio but not as the main horn mic, just there to blend in the clicks and pops from the keys.  I usually don't pay much attention to endorsements, but the likes of Joe Lovano, Mike Brecker, and Dave Liebman are all endorsee's of the AMT mics and it's hard to argue with those guys.  They are expensive however.

Pages: [1]   Go Up