R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noise problem with Mbox/Motif Keys  (Read 1246 times)

John Bordon

Noise problem with Mbox/Motif Keys
« on: September 24, 2004, 02:16:17 PM »

I have a mbox /Mac Laptop/Motif keyboard all hooked up together.
when the Motif USB Line is hooked into the system I am getting a "Wining" noise over the Motif audio outputs and headphone outs. I Tryed different cords, with/without dc power wall wart to mac.

PS This isn't a 60HZ hum..  It sounds a little like having a radio on when you crank on a vacuum. RF without motor pitching up and down

Anyone cured this yet?
JPB
John Bordon
Sound Sculpture USA

how_gauche

Re: Noise problem with Mbox/Motif Keys
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 03:31:08 PM »

I had the same problem with my mbox. The problem is that your usb line is not getting enough power to the mbox, which needs, I believe, >500 mA at +5VDC. In fact, in my system the mbox drew so much power that it fried a power supply (the plastic on the +5VDC rails on the power connector that goes from the supply to the motherboard actually MELTED).

Some people have reported that going to a powered USB hub solved their problem, and it did solve my problem with noise, however going through the hub made the mbox drop samples even at a buffer size of 1024. I eventually got fed up and ditched the stupid mbox in favour of an Edirol FA-101, and I'm pleased as punch --- even when the mbox was working properly I always felt like I was fighting the equipment, the firewire box just WORKS.

John Bordon

Re: Noise problem with Mbox/Motif Keys
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 09:19:53 PM »

thanks Guache.
what your diagnosis says is........ there is a "USB Phantom" conflict that I have to deal with....... Anyone else have a input?

JPB
John Bordon
Sound Sculpture USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 18 queries.