R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Seeking advice on moving forward  (Read 13655 times)

Jason Poff

Seeking advice on moving forward
« on: September 21, 2004, 01:21:37 AM »

natpub

Re: Seeking advice on moving forward
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 04:05:45 AM »

Sounds like you definitely want to move, and want something more metropolitan. So-be-it, no sense in me arguing that point.

So:

If you like your current climate,I'd look at Atlanta or San Diego. If you don't mind the cold, I would explore Toronto or Baltimore. If you don't mind it hotter, check out Austin (where I am) or New Orleans. If you really wanna go for something different and fun, think about moving to Sydney or New Zealand!

I would avoid New York, LA, Nashville, San Fran, Paris, London, Seattle, and anything like that.

Just some thoughts to get you started Smile

-K
Kurt Thompson
Vibrational Arts, Inc.
Blue Skyway Music
Sonic Sorcery Studios
Austin,TX/Columbus,OH

George Massenburg

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 07:12:46 AM »

Jason,

Here're a couple of thoughts, take it anyway you want...

You aren't going to know what you "know" until you get to test it under fire in the most critical situation.  Much is said pro & con about working in the recording racket in Los Angeles, New York, Toronto, Nashville, Miami, or Chicago (in my mind North America's top markets). but one feature is clear: you are more likely to be tested against the best in the field.  Not to say that every producer/engineer you run into - take Nashville, for instance, you're been down here, haven't you? - is going to be really good at some facet of the gig, but the average is higher, and you're more likely to run into someone that you'll relate to.  

The infrastructure is broader and more competitive in bigger markets. Think musician's services such as instrument sales, rental & repair and cartage and guitar techs, not to mention performance support, such as rehearsal facilities, live sound, lighting & staging gear & personal and knowlegable management (ever try to find a good monitor mixer or an LD in the phone book?).  Other services count, too: technical support (convenient electronics supply houses, and good technicians), business support (knowlegable accounting & legal services), even catering.

Every wonder where most of that infrastructure came from?  In every music community I've ever been acquainted with, those people started out as musicians / artists / songwriters / engineers & etc.  Whether they 'gave up' (which is not neessarily a bad thing) or simply found another opportunity to feed their family or something they liked to do better, it results in a community that has a broader experience and is more knowledgable and often sympathetic to the rigors of "the business".

At the end of the day, the point is to be somewhere where you'll be happy with the quality of life.  I left Los Angeles in part because I couldn't see myself bringing up my kid there, and in part because the resources it offered didn't interest me as they once did.  Before that, I lived and worked in Paris.  Looking back it was essential for me to work in a community of professionals that had a lot to teach me, both about life (Paris) and work (Los Angeles).  If the tiniest opportunity presented itself, I'd move back to Paris in a heartbeat.  On the other hand, if unlimited opportunities presented themselves in Los Angeles, I'm not sure I'd be home for the call.

Oh, one more thing.  I don't know how close you and your future wife are, but that's going to be a big part of your decision.  For sure go somewhere where she's happy or you're going to hear about it every day all day long in the most strident...the most unpleasant terms.

George

Nika Aldrich

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 09:34:44 AM »

I like George's advice about going someplace that has the infrastructure in place.  

I would add that it may be worth a family gamble to go someplace you don't ultimately want to be and put a time limit on it.  My wife-to-be and I made the same decision 7 years ago and moved somewhere less than desireable for us, but a place that offered a host of opportunities we were not to find elsewhere.  We decided to do it for 5 years.  No less because it is not worth the hassles of the move to do it for less than 5 years.  No more because we wanted to branch outward and at the least, return to home.  

It might be worth it to do the New York thing for a few years with a time limit.  It's not the most desireable place to live long-term, but is a great place to go get an education in the school of hard-knocks.  Also, with theatre you can't beat New York, so it would be great for the both of you.  

To throw my two cents in about Seattle (since I'm from there and it was mentioned), it is the second largest theatre market in North America, so your wife will be happy.  The recording market, however, ebbs and flows.  There was a time when it was the grunge capital.  That was followed by the time that it was supposedly becoming a beacon for film work/scoring.  There's still a lot of activity there but it is not like Nashville, NY, LA, etc.  Seattle is also a very overpriced city and the traffic is miserable.  The reason for that, though, is that a LOT of people are moving there.  They are moving there for a reason.  It doesn't take long for people to discover that.

Nika
"Digital Audio Explained" now available on sale.

Click above for sample chapter, table of contents, and more.

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 10:24:46 AM »

I suspect it's going to be harder to find "the right place" for theatrical opportunities than it is musical ones so I'd begin there. The next thing to look at is what new artists are doing what kind of music in that locality.

Fletcher has said "what counts is who knows what you know" and this couldn't be more true for both of you. I'd add it's also about who knows how much of a pleasure it is to work with you on the most stressful project. The right place is wherever you both can work with the outstanding up-and-coming performers who are about to become the next generation of stars.

My stepson is well on his way to a very successful film making career in LA as a result of hanging out around NYU. There's always a place for somebody having passionate dedication and a great attitude.

John Bordon

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 12:11:11 PM »

Some good advice from all! Except someone said San Diego. EEEEEHHHH (Buzzer Sound)

Jason,
I am feeling the same way you do right now. My Idea to "Build and Buy it and they will come" (whisper voice from Kevin Costner's god) turned out to be disappointing....................  Man, I gotta stop listening to those voices!................... San Diego is a town that 95 % of all the bars here are canned dance. Few live clubs=fleeing musicians............................. After buying a signal chain from heaven (15 vintage Neumann's including a all original U47 tube) to Westlake and Gelelec monitors... Guess what!....... The corn field is still bare!   I have lived in LA and don't relish the idea of going back for other than working trips. But I feel using the dip stick of live music bars per capita might be a good place to start..   so far Nashville and Austin look good.     I am rooting for you Jason
John Bordon
Sound Sculpture USA

Jason Poff

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 08:54:42 PM »

natpub

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 09:08:35 PM »

John Borden wrote on Tue, 21 September 2004 11:11

Some good advice from all! Except someone said San Diego. EEEEEHHHH (Buzzer Sound)

Hehe, OK, guess it's been a while since I was there. I said San Diego because a good friend was having booming success in the music for films and video games industry there. The last time I was there, most the clubs had live music, but that was about 8 years ago! Ahhh well, I'm outta step. Anyhow, the film and video game thing is still happening there, as far as I know. It was also a very fun place to live.

Still, I now prefer Austin. It has a solid budding film industry, and the music, as always, is cooking. We had really looked hard at Toronto this past year, especially with all the war nastiness in the US, but I really can't stand that kinda cold. However, Toronto is an amazing place, better choice than NYC, IMHO.

--K
Kurt Thompson
Vibrational Arts, Inc.
Blue Skyway Music
Sonic Sorcery Studios
Austin,TX/Columbus,OH

John Bordon

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 11:39:53 PM »

Six years might have changed something But I don't think so ... Film/Video/Audio Production is 4 percent of LA overflow. coveted by a small group of people that never paid their dues. (I apologize for the people that are making a living in San Diego that have paid their dues) Game industry is not something that is San Diego based now so I cant comment on that. ...........If anyone out in Internet land can bring people to San Diego for record production you are God! This Place Is paradise and I never want to leave it.     Weather..................................................... ............./Beautiful Women/Beautiful Men ...............I have not worn a coat in 4 years.  Turned on the air conditioner 4 times a year.....
Paradise................  But ......Work is to sporadic!

PS...  Jason.... Safety in numbers Looking for some partners?
John Bordon
Sound Sculpture USA

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 10:58:21 AM »

Unless something has changed in the past five years, game music may be good for one's ego but it's not great for the purse or for building a career! I also think MIDI is probably a dead end at this point. Film post and scoring almost all happens within a few blocks in North Hollywood. While there is some overflow elsewhere, this isn't likely to help one very much with a career. It's all concentrated there because films literally need to be able to go from five people working on a sound track to 50 overnight.

Nashville isn't a place I'd look to for drama opportunities. Lots of community theater but it isn't remotely like having USC, UCLA, NYU or Yale in the neighborhood. Orlando would probably be a much better bet.

hollis

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2004, 01:53:31 PM »

Quote:

Orlando would probably be a much better bet.

Bob's on to something here. With all the Disney and the and Universal and Cirque du Soleil and the Medieval feasting, it seems to me that making a living as a musician is fairly doable in this town. These places create plenty of venues so oversaturation-with-no-place to go doesn't seem to be a problem, as I would think it is in say New Orleans or Austin. All forms of live entertainment are popular, so plenty to do there.

Strictly music recording-wise, however, it's a bust in this climate for the most part.

heinz

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2004, 03:28:49 PM »

Bob Olhsson wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 15:58

Unless something has changed in the past five years, game music may be good for one's ego but it's not great for the purse or for building a career!

I can personally verify this, not just game music but game audio in general has become a low priority for developers. There are few real AE's in gaming audio (save maybe EA canada) most are musicians with tech savvy abilities. Also, audio is stack ranked 3rd when it comes to content priorities in games. If there was ever any innovation in game audio it's long gone now.
heinz schuller
heinzmuzik

Greg Youngman

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2004, 03:34:52 PM »

heinz wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 12:28

Bob Olhsson wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 15:58

Unless something has changed in the past five years, game music may be good for one's ego but it's not great for the purse or for building a career!

I can personally verify this, not just game music but game audio in general has become a low priority for developers. There are few real AE's in gaming audio (save maybe EA canada) most are musicians with tech savvy abilities. Also, audio is stack ranked 3rd when it comes to content priorities in games. If there was ever any innovation in game audio it's long gone now.

Isn't it odd how audio/music takes a back seat to some video/film makers?
Web Site
My Space
Blog

"Everyone's a guitar player... everyone's a mastering engineer." 1995 - GY

Bill Mueller

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2004, 09:54:20 PM »

Jason,

I suggest that wherever you move that you enjoy the music of area. If you are a music engineer, wanting to make a mark in music, you need to be connected at the heart to that music. This might be more obvious in Nashville, LA or Seattle, however every city is either a healthy microcism of creativity or a wanabe playing that canned dance music. I don't mean for you to limit yourself to one kind of music, but if you hate modern country, you might not want to move to Nashville, or if you hate hip hop, you might want to look beyond New York. Take some trips, visit some cities, go to some clubs.

Also. Make this move. Do it now, before you and your wife have children. It is much harder to take big chances with a little one (or four) than when it is just you and your squeeze. In the end, I think money is less valuable than a life well lived.

Best of luck,

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

PP

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2004, 09:10:04 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.