R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MS recording with a Sanken  (Read 1343 times)

judah

MS recording with a Sanken
« on: September 20, 2004, 01:54:26 PM »

Hi,
I'm gonna record a choir ensemble and lucky me the group has some money to spend so they give me the chance to rent a couple stuff.
I was looking for a Royer SF12 but my renting company (Funky Junk Italy) didn't have any in stock so they gave me a Sanken CMS2. A very nice mic indeed.
I tested it with the resident drum set of the studio and the first thing I notice is the excessive gain amount I have to use. After fooling around a bit i just gave up. Is it normal that I have to use about 60dB of my Hardy M1 for a mic placed as overhead on a drum set played buy a very rude drummer (that's me)? I'm very worried about tomorrow's session with the choir. I'll bring my Crown SASS with me anyway but I was very curios to try the Sanken. BTW, the sound of the mic is very very nice. Very flat and natural. And the MS mikin' has a beatiful stereo image but the gain structure puzzles me.
Anyone care to help?
Thanks.

R.
Ronnie Amighetti
DIESEL
Laboratorio di registrazione sonora

"I'm fucking busy and vice versa."
Dolly Parton

natpub

Re: MS recording with a Sanken
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 12:55:23 AM »

You may also wish to cross post this in George Massenburg's forum and maybe Klause's (the Mic Lab). I know George uses the Sankens and may be able to give good reply. I myself do not know them, but they many people seem to cherish them.
Kurt Thompson
Vibrational Arts, Inc.
Blue Skyway Music
Sonic Sorcery Studios
Austin,TX/Columbus,OH
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 18 queries.