R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Technica Mics  (Read 1355 times)

Everglass

Audio Technica Mics
« on: September 28, 2004, 09:39:11 AM »

Hi,

I just got a pair of AT4040's which I tried out today for the first time.  On percussion they sounded really crisp and clean.  I also tried them on female vocals and I was really amazed at how good the mic was at capturing the particular vocalist.

My question is, in the AT range is there a specific "vocal" mic which is considered more suitable to voice than the "all rounder" AT4040?

The singer I am helping find a vocal mic for does not tend to sound good on valve mics as they seem to color her voice too much.  Solid State condensors seem more appropriate.  She did sound wonderful on the 4040, but are there others in the range I should try?

Many thanks!

Everglass
James Everglass

TotalSonic

Re: Audio Technica Mics
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 09:51:28 AM »

I'm a big fan of the 4047 which is very loosely based on 70's era U47FET designs.  It's a cardioid with a slightly rolled off high end - very smooth and meaty - definitely doesn't work on everything but when it fits it's great.  Solidly made & relatively inexpensive too.  

The 4050 is a real nice work horse too - very bright but can really handle some spl and flexible in that it is multipattern.

For vox mics you can definitely look outside the AT line for some great stuff - best thing is to determine your budget and demo, borrow, and rent as many different things you can to find what is the best for your applications.  For real real cheap I like the Studio Projects C1.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 20 queries.