R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AEA SMP 17 mic array positioner question  (Read 1341 times)

Ohmio

AEA SMP 17 mic array positioner question
« on: September 19, 2004, 02:25:51 AM »

Hi, I?m new here. My English is not very good, but I would like to participate in this forum. I own a little commercial studio in Mexico City, where I mainly record advertisement or publicity stuff (Radio Spots, Post-production, etc) and some bands and singers too.

Well, this is my first post and my first question too, hope you can help me:

I have been tracking some instruments in stereo, the XY mic configuration, and I mount each mic on it?s own stand, but I find difficult to align (or position) the mics, specially when I have to move one or both just a few milimiters, so, searching for a solution I find the  AEA SMP 17 mic array positioner.

My questions are, does anybody use it? Is it a good investment? I mean, does it really makes easy to position the mics?

And, is it possible to use this with any mic stand?, and talking about mics, is it possible to use the positioner with any mic? (414 BULS, KM184, AT4041, Shure 57/58 for example?

Thanks!!!!
Yuri A. Robles
www.ohmioaudio.com

hollywood_steve

Re: AEA SMP 17 mic array positioner question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 11:05:21 PM »

I own the AEA SMP17 and at least a half dozen other stereo bars from Shure, AKG and others.  The SMP17 is the most flexible, but not the easiest to use.  If you are always working in the relaxed atmosphere of your own studio, the added flexibility of the SMP17 is a great choice.  My only problem with this unit is that it is not something that you can set up in 30 seconds while rushing to get your gear on stage in between sets in a live setting.  It can take 10 minutes to attach the mount ot a stand and then attach two mics to the mount and then properly align everything.  When you only have 30 minutes from load in to the start of recording, 10 minutes is a lot of time to spend on any one thing.

It works well with any mic that has a 5/8 - 27 thread attachment and it can be attached to stands in a variety of ways.  The quality of the parts and workmanship are first rate and you will never want to use Sabra type mounts again once you have use the SMP17.

If stereo recording is something you do very occasionally, there might be better choices.  If you want to make stereo recording a regular part of your work, the SMP17 will give you options not easily available with other mounts.

If you want a good quality, simple stereo mount for mostly XY stereo, I would recommend that you start with the Shure A27m.  But if you want something more flexible (and more complicated), the SMP17 is worth its high price tag.

Ohmio

Re: AEA SMP 17 mic array positioner question
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 06:03:02 PM »

Hey Steve, thanks for your respond and advice. I think I will get the SMP17, because I want something flexible and well constructed. Time is not a big concern for me, so I prefer something flexible no matter if it takes 10 or 15 minutes to set. ( and believe me, nowadays I waste more time trying to aline two mics mounted in different stands to XY )

Later if I needed another positioner, I?ll take a look on the shure that you recommend to me, wich is  cheaper but no so flexible, but for now I need the best, because it will be the only one in the studio.

Thanks again!!!

Yuri A. Robles
www.ohmioaudio.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.