R/E/P > Klaus Heyne's Mic Lab

A very interesting U87- Original or Fake ?

(1/3) > >>

dvmusic:
Hi everyone,
I recently purchase this used Neumann U87Ai. When I tested it, it sounded great, so I didn't bother to look at the circuit layout inside.

It is still sounding great to my ear today; however, I decided to open it and found out the inside of it looks quite different from other U87Ai out there- even the badge is a bit too dark blue in color.

I'm not to sure whether mine is an original, or modded or a fake. Has anyone seen this type of U87Ai before?
Please help me.
Thank you so much for your time.

dvmusic:
Here is another picture (the DC board-side).

klaus:
This mic is a fake.
What gives it away, even to a person unfamiliar with component layout:

1. The off-color (in difference to stark-white), rough-surface head board

2. Phillips screws to mount the two circuit boards against the frame (Neumann uses slot screws)

3. The coil at the center of the DC board - a round, black component with a hole in the center-see photo attached - is missing

dvmusic:
Thank you so much for reply Mr. Klaus.
I guess it is a bad luck for me then. However I have another original U87 and when I compare the sound to it. It sounds almost identical, that is why I didn’t bother to check the inside. However thanks again for your time and your input.

RuudNL:
These U87ai copies were offered on Ali Express for about $600. I hope you didn't pay too much...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version