R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: UPDATE with pic: (cleaning Neumann capsules in the EU in 2023?)  (Read 3972 times)

Kai

Re: UPDATE with pic: (cleaning Neumann capsules in the EU in 2023?)
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2023, 05:32:39 PM »

In the course of normal use it is often okay, but will sometimes exhibit reduced level, reduced low end, higher than normal noise.
This is the core statement.

Visible contamination is normal for other than brand new capsules.
But if it affects the sound during normal use it’s time for cleaning.

(...)

@Klaus
Feel free to edit my posting.

Did just that.
What Kai suggested, and what I deleted (sorry, Kai), and what you can also find on YouTube amateur tutorials is in my experience counter-productive to restoring capsule health.
I have seen a high number of capsules here, where someone attempted this or similar cleaning methods which will in most cases irreversibly damage functionality.

I have repeatedly warned on several forums in the past about cleaning capsule surfaces with fluids without the ability to prevent capillary suction into the center of the capsule, and without ability to evacuate the contaminated fluids carried into inaccessible backplate parts.
I see no purpose in amplifying and propagating repair procedures I regard as ill-advised on this forum.

As to Neumann suggesting a similar method: that too was ill-advised: a one-off by one employee made public decades ago, which, to my knowledge, was never repeated or officially supported since. KH

RadarDoug2

• Real Full Name: Doug Jane
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2023, 03:22:32 PM »

Hi Klaus, I typed in my message but I guess the digital world did not get it.
I was just saying that in a typical pop vocal session, the mike will get much more abuse than a correct breath test.
Often people dont use pop filters which reduce the damage, but they dont eliminate it.

klaus

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2023, 03:41:15 PM »

Agreed, but I see no reason why any mic owner/engineer/artist/producer would ever not use a stocking screen between mouth and mic:

1. Dual-layer stocking screens/black pantyhose minimally to imperceptibly affect the tone of the mic yet preventing almost all spit/saliva mist getting on the diaphragm.

2. Stocking screens are the perfect distancing device, preventing excessive proximity build up by preventing the singer to lean in closer than the engineer prescribes (a common desire - vocalists prefer their voice the way it sound up lose to any mic).

3. The screen as distancing device guarantees punch-ins with predictable response. Changing the distance from say, 4 inches to 2 doubles the low frequency volume of many condenser mics.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

gtoledo3

• Real Full Name: George Toledo
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2023, 04:45:31 PM »

Doug, I think that purposely blowing into a mic is worse for it than close singing where that might happen more inadvertently or just slightly.

Maybe it’s better to just say, if you want to do the breath test make sure the outside of your mic isn’t dusty.

Nob Turner

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2023, 05:30:54 PM »

Isn't it suggested that a breath test be done with a fully-open mouth, rather than pursing one's lips? Making a "huuuh" sound keeps the velocity down, while keeping the moisture content up. Also, rather than doing this directly towards the capsule, I have always done it at a 90° angle, across the front of the mic.

Kai

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2023, 05:12:00 AM »

Doug, I think that purposely blowing into a mic is worse for it than close singing where that might happen more inadvertently or just slightly.
I do the breath test doing a soft stream of air, mouth wide open, similar to when wetting glasses for cleaning.

Blowing a hard stream of air into the mic wouldn‘t even do the job of purposely creating condensing humidity inside the basket.

gtoledo3

• Real Full Name: George Toledo
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2023, 09:08:24 AM »

The breath test is still blowing into the mic even if it’s done like fogging up a glass.

Anyway, didn’t mean to lead into the weeds. Do it if you want to!

I have tested this while designing a product, and it’s just my position that the classic breath test will drive dust into a headbasket.  Feel free to get hypothetical, but the other option is that you can just test it and leave me alone. Or say thanks later after you realize I’m right. :-)

JBB

• Real Full Name: Jacob Bergson
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2023, 05:51:49 AM »

Okay, time to revive this thread as I now have the u87 back in my possession.

Here are some photos of the capsule that I took this morning. Had to reduce the resolution in order to upload here. If we need even higher res photos, then I'll upload the full res images to an online folder for download

JBB

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2023, 05:55:38 AM »

pic 2

JBB

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2023, 05:57:22 AM »

pic 3

JBB

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2023, 05:58:55 AM »

pic 4

klaus

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2023, 11:47:03 AM »

Reviewing these images, three comments:

1. Both capsule sides are eminently restorable to yield full, authentic Neumann sound, if done by a professional with capsule cleaning experience

2. Reading back over the reported comments from service providers I am reminded how job estimates are sometimes determined not by what the 
    client wants (in this case restoration, not replacement) but what the provider deems a. capable of doing and b. is the most lucrative option

3. It is much easier to examine a photo of a component if it takes up at least 80% of the available image space.
    In this case, it was borderline: the capsule occupied 1/6th of the frame. But I knew what to look for, and could fill in the blanks from memory
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

JBB

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2023, 12:17:21 PM »

Many thanks for the expert opinion, Klaus! That's good news

Perhaps you (or other contributors here who have dealt with this issue) have a recommendation for a technician who would be capable of performing the cleaning?

Ideally in Germany, but within the EU generally should be workable.

Again, thank you

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 18 queries.