R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AKG C451 Fluttering  (Read 2116 times)

Gravity

AKG C451 Fluttering
« on: September 17, 2004, 02:22:23 AM »

Hey there-
I have a set of vintage AKG 451's and am having "fluttering" problems. I assume this is due to moisture/humidity, etc. Is there any way to fix this problem or do you think they are shot? Any help/advice would be appreciated. I am new  here. Thanks!

analog Tom

Re: AKG C451 Fluttering
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 12:32:25 PM »

Don't know what you mean by "fluttering", but if they are original C-451s then they are definitely not "shot".  

Sometimes things go wrong, get damaged, etc.  But the 451 is still supported in all aspects by AKG.  Other shops, like Audio Upgrades in NoHo also work on them.  So where ever you are, you can probably have any problem solved fairly quickly.  

Since you raise a question about moisture/humidity, the natural response might be: What conditions are you using the mic(s) in that cause you to think of that?  If they have been used in a high humidity environment, try leaving them outside, in the shade, on a couple of hot dry days (not in direct sunlight).  

You also mention "a set of 451s" and having fluttering problems.  Are you having "fluttering" in all your mics, one mic, some mics?  If it's in all your 451s, I would try some other condenser mics and see if the problem persists.  It is hard to imagine all the mics in a set having the same problem, so I would consider the phantom power supply.  Stick a scope on it, and watch to see if there is a dc problem which mimics (maybe causes) the fluttering.  

Cordially,
Tom

Greg Norman

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 02:04:00 AM »

It could be that the equipment you're using has a problem.  Have you used other preamps with the 451s?  If you still have that problem.  I agree that you should call AKG they were helpful with some sick capsules of ours, and not to expensive.  
Although I don't know if they replace parts with the same parts they used way back when.  

archtop

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 10:52:40 AM »

I had AKG put new gut's in mine, just under a hundred buck.

Richard Williams

Han S.

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 06:42:06 PM »

My vintage C451's are (like all) sensitive for humidity as well and can make funky sounds.

Rubbing it for a while against my sleeve to warm it up a little make them quiet again.

hepcat

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 06:49:30 PM »

I have cured this in the past by replacing the caps in the mic's preamp, so far AKG has been good about supplying schematics.

Tim Campbell

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 07:14:02 AM »

The problem you mention is common to many older condenser mics. It's most probably crud shorting out the capsule. The capsule should be diassembled and cleaned - not something you want to do yourself. The easiest way to see if it's really the capsule or mic amplifier would be to find a working mic and switch the capsules. If the working mic body suddenly makes noise you know it's the capsule. If the noisy mic body still makes noise you know it's the amplifier.
Find someone with experience to clean the capsule or buy a used replacement.
Campbell Transmitter
www.timcampbell.dk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.