R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: U87Ai 1999 vs. Current U87ai (Circuit Diagram 02 compared to Circuit Diagram 06  (Read 1415 times)

skrimoblee

• Real Full Name: Jake Kruer

Hello all and sorry to double post but...

I recently came across a U87ai that I have been told by Neumann to be from 1999 (#69xxx) . Compared to a 2020 TLM 103 I find it to be less bright/sibilant and more mid-heavy.

This 1999 u87Ai was serviced by a reputable music gear dealer that included tightening up the capsule. Would it be possible such a service could have made the pre 2000 u87Ai now bass-starved and too midrangy?

soapfoot

• brad allen williams

I wonder whether "tightening up the capsule" may simply have meant tightening its mounting hardware?

In any case--isn't it true, Klaus, that diaphragm tension is only one part of a capsule's response (and maybe not even the predominant part)?

klaus

-isn't it true, Klaus, that diaphragm tension is only one part of a capsule's response (and maybe not even the predominant part)?
Absolutely true.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

skrimoblee

For completeness, the service related to the capsule was phrased as: cleaning the capsule, tightening up capsule and capsule mount.

I will update here once I gather more background information on the service.

MYN

• Real Full Name: Mark Yoshimoto Nemcoff

I have a question. I've seen Circuit 2 AI preamps that have R1 installed and 4 extra capacitors on the back board. Why were these removed in future versions?

klaus

This is off topic but here it goes:
U89 and U87Ai share the same DC-to-DC converter circuit board and almost all the same components, except the ones you mentioned that were not needed in the U87Ai.

Eventually, some (minute) savings were achieved by removing the obsolete parts and they were removed.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

skrimoblee

I have shared via PM more information about the service with you Klaus.

My initial thought was that I could rule out the mic being bass starved since it is from 1999 as opposed to sometime after 2000.

klaus

Let's get back to the original question and a possible answer:
This 1999 u87Ai was serviced by a reputable music gear dealer that included tightening up the capsule. Would it be possible such a service could have made the pre 2000 u87Ai now bass-starved and too midrangy?

After reading your PM with the relevant quote from the service technician ("tightened up capsule & capsule mount") it seems to me that, if anything, he did not manipulate the diaphragm tension. He may have tightened the four backplate assembly screws which would compress the spacer in between, which would alter the capsule's acoustic network, making it mid heavy. But that is mere speculation, as the description from the technician is vague.

If not happy with the sound, I would just abort the purchase rather than spending more time and money to have a mic you love.

P.S.: I tightened the thread to bring the meandering subject back in focus. I apologize if several posts had to be deleted in the process.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

skrimoblee

I shot out the 1999 U87ai #69000s Rev 02 with a 2001 U87ai #82000s likely to also have Circuit Rev 02. The low end sounded nearly the same.

I thought the 2001 sounded a smidge better to my ears than the 1999 but could have been the slight mic placement/preamp setting differences. It could be that the capsule lottery was more favorable to that 2001 than my 1999. The 2001 sounded a little heartier/beefier - more breathy, but the 1999 sounded silkier and seemed to capture more depth.

Though not dispositive, comparing the two via Fab Filter Pro q 3 there appears to be a bump in frequencies within the 10k range on the 2001 compared to the 1999.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 22 queries.