R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Telefunken U67 Capsule Issue  (Read 694 times)

gkippola

• Real Full Name: gerald kippola
Telefunken U67 Capsule Issue
« on: March 10, 2023, 08:47:00 PM »

I have an old Telefunken U67 w/orig capsule that has a good front diaphragm, and a questionable back diaphragm. Please see the pix. Looking for feedback on its plight.

It works fairly well, but I am concerned about the back diaphragm. Seems new U67 or 870 caps are scarce, I am wondering if it would be best to leave alone, or try to procure a 1/2 capsule to replace the back.

Is the back diaphragm repairable? I contacted Neumann USA, but their only option was to send it in. 

klaus

Re: Telefunken U67
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 09:56:12 PM »

Given the amount of conductive gold remaining, the rear diaphragm may still function (you did not mention whether it does).
But the rear may have suffered too much loss of s/n, due to loss of gold and/or heavy contamination.

Though the front side looks also moderately contaminated, the mic should work fine in cardioid, as long as the membrane tension of the rear is still ok (it should be unaffected by the gold loss).

Your options, then:

1. Leave the capsule as is and use the mic, at least in cardioid.

2. Find a used, period-correct (second generation) K67 and either replace the whole capsule, or, if you are really happy with the mic in cardioid, sandwich the current frontside with one half of the donor capsule.

3. Replace with a newer K67. If you can find a K67 made before 2000, the overall timbre of the mic should be relatively similar to that of your original capsule. (You had mentioned you thought that new K67/870 are scarce. That is not the case: you can buy a new one from Neumann without any wait, but that version has an audibly different timbre.)

What is not an option: to assemble a non-brass K67 half on the rear of your current brass K67. I have not been able to mak ethat combo work in the past, due to various design differences.

Let us know what you decided to do, and how it affected the sound.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

gkippola

• Real Full Name: gerald kippola
Re: Telefunken U67 Capsule Issue
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 11:14:45 AM »

Thanks for the reply Klaus, btw you were the last to work on it when I sent you the head back in 2002.
Do you know anyone who might have an original capsule 1/2?  That would be my preference, otherwise i have to decide if I want to put a new capsule in its place.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.