R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: source for microphone storage plastic bags?  (Read 1027 times)

brucekaphan

source for microphone storage plastic bags?
« on: January 03, 2023, 09:40:21 PM »

Can anyone recommend a source for plastic bags for microphone storage? I understand that foam used in microphone storage boxes eventually breaks down and can end up inside mic chassis and on capsules—I'd like to purchase an assortment of small, relatively narrow, non-zippered bags to protect mics when in storage in their boxes.

Thanks!

klaus

Re: source for microphone storage plastic bags?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 11:47:15 PM »

This is the label for the plastic bag I use with every mic I own or send out. That size fits all of the Big Five (exception: M49 - too wide) and stereo and dynamic mics as well.
Its four mil thickness is guaranteed to last many years without tearing or deteriorating.
A box of 1000 cost me $20, as far as I remember*.

Unfortunately, the material is not biodegradable, but I am ready to switch as soon as something becomes available that is safe for capsules and reasonably priced.

*If you don't want to buy a thousand at at time, there's always the free option: produce baggies from your supermarket.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

NigelT

• Real Full Name: David Ross
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 03:18:39 AM »

Do you recommend covering mics in a bag while in use in a studio? I mean overnight or between sessions.
Thanks

klaus

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2023, 11:34:26 AM »

Cover any condenser mic whenever you are not using it continuously, even if just for an hour or two for lunch break. No need to talke it off the stand.

The reason: the capsule's electrostatic attraction (polarization voltage) continues, and airborne particles continue to fly towards the capsule, like the moth to the light.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

soapfoot

• brad allen williams
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 06:54:18 PM »

Any recommendations for cloth bags, sleeves, or anything nicer-looking than plastic?

radiovinhet

• Real Full Name: Luis Fernando
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023, 09:33:24 AM »

Cover any condenser mic whenever you are not using it continuously, even if just for an hour or two for lunch break. No need to talke it off the stand.

The reason: the capsule's electrostatic attraction (polarization voltage) continues, and airborne particles continue to fly towards the capsule, like the moth to the light.

What you think about seal this bags? Will avoid more moisture in the capsule? Example, in the case when i'll not use mic mics for 1 month...

klaus

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2023, 02:48:58 PM »

That question has been around for a while and, like so many issues, I find it to be more of a theoretical than experiential issue.

Theoretically, you would need to distinguish between sealed bags on tube and solid-state mics. While keeping the bag open over solid-state mics makes some sense*, on tube mics, a case could be made* to always seal the bag after the mic was on:
the volume of (dryer) air in the body of the mic is greater than the air volume in the head basket.

Therefore, in a sealed environment, excess moisture will tend to be sucked away from the drier body to the more moist head, thereby drying out a moist capsule much more efficiently than through exposure to ambient air in the room.

* in practice, I have not found any different results between sealing and not sealing.

P.S.: I have a sticky that goes a bit more into drying out moist mics and capsules:
        https://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,37255.0.html
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 17 queries.