R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Schoeps CMTS 501U Repair  (Read 2133 times)

Barry Hufker

Schoeps CMTS 501U Repair
« on: December 15, 2022, 11:16:43 AM »

I'm posting in the hope I can get some information about finishing the repair of this microphone.  It was damaged in a great fall onto a marble church floor.  After considerable time and expense, the mic has been straightened, but in my distress, along the way I didn't pay attention to how these parts (marked in the photos) fit.  I would be grateful if someone, and especially Klaus or David Satz, can provide an answer.  I'm willing to pay for this information if needed.  So: specifically I need to know where and how these parts (marked A and B in the photo) fit.  Thank you.  It is a very fine mic and I'd like to see it restored not only for my use but for a future generation.

Barry Hufker

Re: Schoeps CMTS 501U Repair
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 11:22:31 AM »

Here is how the mic looked after the fall.

Barry Hufker

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2022, 11:23:26 AM »

Here is how it looks now...

Kai

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 11:30:52 AM »

...  I need to know where and how these parts (marked A and B in the photo) fit.
From looking at the picture, try the following:

There are two possible orders of parts, depending how far the golden contact square sticks out inside the capsule housing:

(V1: Insert one full circled springs)
Dry-wipe, then insert the golden ring into the capsule housing.
It’s contact tongue should be centered between the two contact pins, pointing outside to the mic body, serials visible.
It’s backside must make direct contact with the little golden square visible.

On top should go (V1, one) or (V2, two) full circled springs.

V1 is very likely if the golden ring in this case still makes contact with the golden square in the capsule housing.

It’s tongue makes contact with the other golden square, in the mic body.

The open circled spring should lock everything then, by snapping into a circular groove (photo not detailed enough to see).
The pin of the open ring-spring should align with the little hole in the mic body.

Barry Hufker

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 02:16:27 PM »

Thanks for responding.  I now know from another source the tongue on the brass part makes contact with the brass rectangle at the bottom of the capsule.  I'll investigate your suggestions.  Thank you for helping!

Kai

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2022, 04:18:54 PM »

Interesting, then the rectangle on the body might only be a shield.

Are there a threads on the golden ring and the capsule housing?

Barry Hufker

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2022, 07:29:05 PM »

The following information comes from Reso Labs (Russia) through the efforts of George Toledo, who contacted them on my behalf.  Many thanks to them both!

Kai

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2022, 06:37:10 AM »

This coincides with what I thought.

The clear evidence for the gold ring orientation is the serial numbers written on it:
All my Schoeps capsules have them, and they are visible.

It’s only the question if one of the circled springs can go underneath while the golden square on the capsule side can still make direct contact to the golden ring.

Are you sure the 2nd circled spring shouldn’t go elsewhere, isn’t missing somewhere internally?

Just try, check if the mic works and nothing is rattling.

Else contact the friendly people at www.schoeps.de. (Friendly and helpful with obsolete models? Not my experience KH)

Barry Hufker

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2022, 11:36:45 AM »

Kai,

Thanks for your continued thoughts and help with this!  It is greatly appreciated.
The project unfortunately will have to remain untouched for the next few days due to other commitments...

I initially tried the folks at Redding Audio, who were as helpful as they could be. I approached Schoeps directly and there has been no response.  As you probably know they don't service this model any longer and I guess that means they don't answer questions either...

Best regards!

David Satz

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2022, 04:41:31 AM »

Barry, I happen to be at Schoeps right now, so I asked who got your email. It was received on December 3rd, and Bernhard Vollmer replied on December 5th with instructions for reassembling the microphone. Did you not receive it?

--best regards

btw, Bernhard is officially mostly retired at this point.

Barry Hufker

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2022, 01:23:24 PM »

Hi David,

Thank you for posting.  No, I did not receive Mr. Vollmer's reply.  I am so sorry.  I had high hopes he would and it's great to know my faith was not misplaced.  I have not found it in spam either.  I am sending you my email address by Private Message.

Barry

Barry Hufker

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2022, 05:14:38 PM »

As it turns out, on December 5, Mr. Bernhard Vollmer of Schoeps wrote me a reply to my message to him, but somehow his message never made it to me, until today with the kindness and assistance of David Satz.  Now I have Mr. Vollmer's instructions as to how to put the mic together.

My great thanks to George Toledo, the folks at Reso Labs, Kai (from this forum), Klaus (for providing this forum), Bernhard Vollmer and David Satz for their help.  Having this mic working means a lot to me and I don't have the words to properly thank them.

More to come on this project...

Barry Hufker

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 12:09:28 PM »

Because anything worthwhile is never easy, I'm looking for a tech specializing in Schoeps microphones to finish this project for me.  My local tech isn't experienced with microphones enough to handle this and I realize the only way this is going to finish is with someone with more expertise in this area.  Does anyone have someone they can recommend?  I personally am hopeless at anything mechanical...

klaus

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2023, 12:57:14 PM »

Hello Barry,
Once you found that U.S.-based Schoeps tech, please let everyone know.

To my knowledge, Posthorn, the original (and still?) U.S. Schoeps importer sent all mics back to Schoeps in Karlsruhe. If that has changed, I'd like to know.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Barry Hufker

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2023, 10:32:25 PM »

Klaus,

Redding Audio is the current Schoeps distributor, and the people I contacted initially for this repair.  They would have sent the mic to Schoeps.  As Schoeps does not repair the CMTS501 any longer I've had to look elsewhere.  I will post here if I find someone who is worthwhile.

Barry
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.