R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: the sound of interpol  (Read 4998 times)

Zoesch

Re: the sound of interpol
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2004, 05:31:38 AM »

The sound of The Smiths and Joy Division together you mean? Smile
It has always been Ringo's fault

MB

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2004, 07:04:12 AM »

Zoesch wrote on Thu, 23 September 2004 11:31

The sound of The Smiths and Joy Division together you mean? Smile

Nothing wrong with that (how ya doin by the way?).

JD (or that should be Martin Hannett) defined "the" post punk snare sound, and as an engineer one could do worse than to try and get that sound. Listen to Heart and Soul.

Is it me, or do I not hear a lot of slapback in Interpol? It's very vintage in a way as opposed to JD which was very cold and modernist.

audiosculpture

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2004, 01:38:07 PM »

6x2 wrote on Thu, 23 September 2004 10:29

I second the use reverb here.

And squeeze the crap out of the kit... Very Happy

But it seems funny. A band that doesn't sound like Interpol wants to sound like Interpol... Do they actually want to sound like them or write songs like them? Cause if it's the latter, there isn't much you can do about it... Sad If it's just a idea for overall sound, your're OK.

FWIW, I hear more Television than Strokes in Interpol, although Strokes have a lot of Television in them... Rolling Eyes

I haven't hear the new IP record, but I'll be buying it soon... The reviews have been promising, any comments on it?

6x2

they're really just aiming for that big drum & bass sound.  they're not trying to sound or write like them.  they're not trying to sound like anyone, they just told me that was the kind of rhythm section sound they wanted to go for.

mogwailoveyou

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2004, 05:57:18 PM »

I've heard the new interpol and it's not that bad. it's a good album but nothing sticks out nearly as much as songs on turn on the bright lights, ie. obstacles 1 & 2. that won't stop it from being an overhyped and played album... haha funny side note, was stuck in a doctors office with only teen people to read, so i flipped through it, there was this article on the 50 sexiest men ever (brad pitt, orland bloom, etc). there were about 6 musicians and the lead singers of interpol and the killers were the only rock musicians on there (except for maroon fucking 5) thought it was most comical. i'd expect this kind of hipster image worship bullshit from spin but not my beloved teen people!!! Rolling Eyes
mogwai love you and need you

Phil Mayor

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2004, 12:20:56 PM »

I really like the new Interpol album not for the sound that much but the great songs on it...I think it stacks up well against the first album. It's definately more consistent. Anyway production wise both albums were made in the same studio with the same producer, Peter Katis @ http://www.tarquinrecords.com/studio/ check out the gear they have to get an idea of how the sound was achived. I hear super compressed drums, analog delays, spring reverb, sounds like the whole mix is running into distortion too like if you fed it into a pair of cranked up LA3A's ..
Huge drums, sound etc?? Nah dont think so! Put on the new Green Day album Track 1 then put on the new Interpol album Track 1!! You'll see what I mean!  Laughing

Phil.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 16 queries.