R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UM92s M7 replacement  (Read 729 times)

awtac

• Real Full Name: Dave Raphael
UM92s M7 replacement
« on: July 23, 2022, 03:50:04 PM »

I have a Um92s sitting here w an M7 that needs a reskin. 

Does anyone have any direct experience removing the capsule from this assembly?

Perhaps the bottom center brass contact unscrews, but I dont want to turn it to find out unless I know for sure.  It does not appear to me to be held in the assembly by the front and rear solder connections however I suppose this could possibly be the case.

Would prefer to not "experiment" w the mechanical mounting, if anyone can advise on the assembly procedure would be much appreciated.  Ive attached some pictures.  Mic has a serial number in the 300's.

thanks!

klaus

Re: UM92s M7 replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 01:50:33 AM »

Unscrew the brass cylinder on the bottom of the assembly, the one with the hole on the side: insert a small screw driver into the hole and turn the cylinder counterclockwise- that will release the whole capsule from the mount (the black plastic surrounding the capsule's perimeter is part of the capsule, do not attempt to separate it!

The round plastic nipple on the top is only lightly glued on, so that will come off without a hitch.

But I am wondering what comes next?
MG does not sell these capsules separately, but the company's capsule replacement service is reasonably priced.

On the other hand, M7 reskins from third parties are notoriously unsatisfactory in sound.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

awtac

• Real Full Name: Dave Raphael
Re: UM92s M7 replacement
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 08:26:39 PM »

thank you for the feedback, looking forward to taking this apart. 

What comes next is a question I share with you, communication w MG about a replacement has been strained.  This has been sitting here for a very long time broken, so frankly, any M7 I can mount in there that will pass signal will be an upgrade over the sound it produces now: none.  If they will take this and repair or replace it, that would be the easiest route simply from a mechanical point of view.  We'll see what happens. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.