R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glue for M7  (Read 1414 times)

Martin62

• Real Full Name: Vasiliy Arkhipov
Glue for M7
« on: July 18, 2022, 06:41:28 AM »

Hello everyone!

I have found where to sputter gold onto the mylar membrane and am trying to repair my old M7 capsule with two new membranes.
Can anyone tell me what kind of glue is better to use for the membrane and how to apply it?
I will be very grateful for any information.
I have heard that some people use cyanoacrylate but I have some doubts.

Kai

Re: Glue for M7
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 12:28:41 PM »

Not that I support the idea of DIY capsule re-diaphragm.

Besides other things (clean-room etc. ) it’s not easy to find out and reproduce the correct tensioning without some experiments.

But- I had good results with 2-component epoxy glue for mylar film to metal bonding.

Martin62

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 11:30:12 AM »

Thank you very much, will try.
Any DIY sooner or later turns into professional work, IMHO.

Kai

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 04:29:17 PM »

Thank you very much, will try.
Any DIY sooner or later turns into professional work, IMHO.
if you ask Klaus he has a different opinion about capsule re-diaphragm :)

I think it’s not rocket science if you don’t head for the original sound.

Else you have to re-engineer everything Neumann has developed, and if you read along here, Klaus repeatedly reported that even Neumann doesn’t keep standards high enough all the time, for his taste.

You have to built an apparatus that can generate a defined, repeatable tension.

I once had to do this too (not for microphones).
Succeeded with a multi-arm balance construction that uniformly spreads the pull from a single spring-balance to multiple, circular arranged radial pullers.

Martin62

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 03:36:26 AM »

if you ask Klaus he has a different opinion about capsule re-diaphragm :)

I think it’s not rocket science if you don’t head for the original sound.

Else you have to re-engineer everything Neumann has developed, and if you read along here, Klaus repeatedly reported that even Neumann doesn’t keep standards high enough all the time, for his taste.

You have to built an apparatus that can generate a defined, repeatable tension.

I once had to do this too (not for microphones).
Succeeded with a multi-arm balance construction that uniformly spreads the pull from a single spring-balance to multiple, circular arranged radial pullers.

Thank you for information!
I know the opinion of Klaus, I read a lot of his posts.
In this thread, I just need to know which glue is better to use for M7  ::)

Anyway it was original Neumann M7 with PVC membrane, which already dead. I haven't any choice.

gtoledo3

• Real Full Name: George Toledo
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 12:38:39 AM »

A shellac based glue was probably what was originally used given the time period in question, though I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s changed over time.

ilcaccillo

• Real Full Name: iL Caccillo
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2022, 07:59:04 PM »

Anyway it was original Neumann M7 with PVC membrane, which already dead. I haven't any choice.

Hi,
I'm sorry but I don't know the answer to your questions about the best glue to use.

But as you have an Original Neumann M7 which is a highly valuable capsule why don't you have it reskinned by a professional?

Even it's dead at the moment it's too valuable for some home DIY stuff or just some experiments, I would understand if it was a cheap capsule and you wanted to have fun, but for a valuable capsule like this you can have it properly reskinned and continue to use it.

You can send it to Thiersch or Peter Drefahl

https://www.thiersch-mic.de/en/estm_service.html

http://www.drefahlaudio.com/

klaus

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2022, 01:40:37 AM »

My question: what does "properly" reskinned mean?

Neumann factory performance and sex appeal is certainly not what I have ever experienced with any of the aftermarket M7 products.
The M7 is a really really hard capsule to recreate: no one has a history and the skills to mix and cast PVC anymore; and putting a 6µ Mylar diaphragm on a backplate designed for a 10µ PVC substrate is not the way to go.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Martin62

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2022, 04:02:51 AM »

My question: what does "properly" reskinned mean?

Neumann factory performance and sex appeal is certainly not what I have ever experienced with any of the aftermarket M7 products.
The M7 is a really really hard capsule to recreate: no one has a history and the skills to mix and cast PVC anymore; and putting a 6µ Mylar diaphragm on a backplate designed for a 10µ PVC substrate is not the way to go.

Dear Klaus, thank you for your comment. I am very glad that such a legendary professional paid attention to my question.
But now in the Russian Federation there are no other options but to reskin the capsule by myself.
I have already tried gluing mylar with one type of glue. The glue does not hold well, but the membrane showed a capacitance of about 80 pF, which is quite good. All I had to do was find the right glue and find a good sounding membrane tension.

Martin62

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2022, 04:04:47 AM »

Hi,
I'm sorry but I don't know the answer to your questions about the best glue to use.

But as you have an Original Neumann M7 which is a highly valuable capsule why don't you have it reskinned by a professional?

Even it's dead at the moment it's too valuable for some home DIY stuff or just some experiments, I would understand if it was a cheap capsule and you wanted to have fun, but for a valuable capsule like this you can have it properly reskinned and continue to use it.

You can send it to Thiersch or Peter Drefahl

https://www.thiersch-mic.de/en/estm_service.html

http://www.drefahlaudio.com/

Thank you very much for your advice, but I live in Russia. Now all ordinary people have big problems with foreign payments and shipments.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.