R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Reliable/Honest Neumann SM2 Service, recommendation needed  (Read 3154 times)

Mozart

• Real Full Name: Kostadin Kamcev
Re: Reliable/Honest Neumann SM2 Service, recommendation needed
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2022, 08:20:08 AM »

What he said is correct. To explain further:
On SM2 and KM56 the two capsule halves/front and back-are actually somewhat autonomous and don't share the same backplate. Though the two halves share acoustic space their backplates are tied together with three flat metal clamps, they are self-contained.

In order to save the good side intact, the metal clamps holding the two backplates together have to be opened up and removed, the two backplates separated, the defective side re-diaphragmed, and then reassembled. 

As he stated, Thiersch usually does not separate the backplate assembly when he reskins, and what you ask him is a bit more involved, but that is by no means beyond his skills (I have done that repeatedly, to match the best two of four capsule sides  in a stereo head as front sides).

Thank You for clearing it up for me, I was not aware.
Best!

Mozart

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2022, 08:20:43 AM »

Is Mr. Thiersch still doing all the repairs himself at 80 years old? Or is it possible he's got some younger apprentices and only does the more complex repairs?

No Idea.

afterlifestudios

• Real Full Name: John Raham
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2022, 12:58:46 PM »

No Idea.

Since you are in communications with them currently, perhaps you could ask them on behalf of us curious forum members?  No big deal, but interested to know...

Mozart

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2022, 02:54:07 PM »

I don't know if he is still doing the repairs.

I'm confused and don't know what to do. Any advise will be appreciated. Here is the response from Mr.Siegfried:

"The SM2 capsule is not suitable for repair. Trying to do it anyway sometimes fails. A problem of several I give with the reskin with Ni membrane. In this case, the laterally led connection must be bent back from the transducer in order to be able to attach the new membrane. This can break, but this must not be for the upper transducer system. For such cases, I replace the transducers of the systems, unless both have defective connections
When using Mylar film, you can probably leave the connections, one risk less. Mr. Peter Drefahl uses Mylar film. In your case, it would be cheaper to produce a membrane with this film.
Sincerely,
Siegfried
Hallo Kostadin

Die Kapsel SM2 ist für eine Reparatur nicht geeignet. Versuche es trotzdem zu tun scheitern manchmal. Ein Problem von mehren ergibt ich bei dem reskin mit Ni-Membran. Hierbei muss der seitlich herausgeführte Anschluss aus dem Transducer zurück gebogen werden um die neue Membran aufsetzen zu können. Dieser kann brechen, das aber für das obere Transducer-System nicht sein darf. Für solche Fälle tausche ich die Transducer der Systeme, sofern nicht beide defekte Anschlüsse haben.

Bei Verwendung von Mylar-Folie kann man wahrscheinlich die Anschlüsse belassen, ein Risiko weniger. Herr Peter Drefahl verwendet Mylar-Folie. Es wäre in Ihrem Fall günstiger eine Membran mit dieser Folie herzustellen.
Mit freundlichem Gruß
Siegfried"

Thank You!

Kosta

Mozart

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2022, 02:55:03 PM »

Since you are in communications with them currently, perhaps you could ask them on behalf of us curious forum members?  No big deal, but interested to know...
\

I will in my next email.

klaus

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2022, 02:30:50 PM »

The bending back of the lead out wire (so teh capsule clears upon removal from the mount) has not been an issue for me in the past.

If you intend to reskin with Mylar you may as well save your money as sell the mic as is: No one wants that sound out of an SM2, and no one will pay you SM2 prices after you replace the core, sound-shaping component with one that was never intended to be used in that mic.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Mozart

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2022, 09:10:15 AM »

Here is the last Response from Mr. Siegfried:

"With the exception of me and Mr. Drefahl, such capsules were never repaired but only replaced. Perhaps Mr. Drefahl can only change one membrane. Presumably, he can stick the PE membrane on without bending back the bent connections. Thus, the connections can not break. Membrane can be renewed several times.
For the upper system, the connection strand cannot be soldered back on after a break.
Now we are overloaded and have waiting time of 4 months. My age is now very high. Except me, no one makes SM2 with Ni. The Ni service will be discontinued. I would advise you to inform Mr Drefahl of your matter and to ask his opinion.
Sincerely,
Siegfried"

Here are the pictures from my capsule:

Any Advise will be appreciated!

Thank You!

klaus

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2022, 01:32:57 PM »

Thiersch, it seems, no longer has any interest or capacity to replace nickel diaphragms.

But his alternative suggestion to have the defective nickel skin replaced with a polyester membrane is not viable, in my experience, because it alters the sound of the capsule dramatically. Listen to a KM86 and you know the direction.

I would suggest to find another owner of an SM2 in the similar position as yours (though it may take a while), buy the head from that person and transplant one capsule- either from his head to yours or vice versa, whichever sample appears to be in better shape.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.