R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Reliable/Honest Neumann SM2 Service, recommendation needed  (Read 3160 times)

Mozart

• Real Full Name: Kostadin Kamcev

Hi,

I'm enjoying reading posts here, not much of a poster, but I need help.

I have an SM2 microphone, with the top back capsule shot 🤦‍♂️ and noise. Is there a reliable honest service where I can send the mic for a capsule repair/re-skin and check up the whole mic?

Thank You!!!

Kosta

klaus

Re: Reliable/Honest Neumann SM2 Service, recommendation needed
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 05:37:50 PM »

I read somewhere that Mozart died centuries ago, so you cannot possibly be Mozart.
Please fill in your real name,  in order to continue posting! The Ground Rules (https://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,989.0.html) make it so.
Thanks,
KH
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Mozart

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 05:53:00 PM »

I'm aware of that, real Mozart died centuries ago.
It was my nick name that my piano teacher in 2nd grade gave it to me, as I was playing all the pieces by the ear. Stayed thru the years,... That is my story about my nickname.

Sorry, I just updated my personal info, as it did not show up when I was making my account.

Kosta

klaus

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 06:21:48 PM »

Excellent, and thank you!
There are not many people left in the world (big word, I know) who have a deep knowledge of and history with Neumann's nickel-capsule stereo mics.
SM2, SM23 are fragile constructions, unique designs, with major parts that have long been obsolete.

Siegfried Thiersch who used to be in charge of making nickel capsules at Microtech Gefell, and who later went independent as a capsule reskinner, had a good grip on Neumann's SD nickel capsules and did a decent job re-diaphragming them with nickel material.  He also was the only one in that specific field. The results, while not identical with Neumann's were quite passable.

But Siegfried must now be in his late 70s or older, and to my knowledge no longer does that type of work. Whether there is a successor with his nickel skills at his company I do not know. I also do not currently know of any other source for repairing nickel diaphragms.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Mozart

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2022, 06:43:59 PM »

Thank You!

I contacted them, lets see what they say...

In the mean time if anybody else has any info, will be really appreciated.

Best to All!

Kosta

afterlifestudios

• Real Full Name: John Raham
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 12:44:05 AM »

There is a forum member here "Panman" who helped me with my km56 capsule.  He's in Switzerland.  Try sending him a direct message through the forum?

Mozart

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2022, 01:15:17 PM »

Thank you!

Mozart

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2022, 11:25:23 AM »

After contacting Siegfried Thiersch, he finally was accepting capsules for repair, and my SM2 Capsule Basket is received by him.

My dilemma:

Only top back capsule was damaged. Front worked fine. What should I do, replace all 4 sides for matching or replace only the damaged side? (not sure if he can do only that). or both sides of the top (damaged back) capsule.

Another question would be about the internal wires in the head basket, the ones inside the plastic. They seem to rigid, so from the turning the top capsule position, some solder connections got  snapped.

Isn't today available some other, more flexible, type of wire for the given position?

Thank You for all the advices.

klaus

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2022, 02:46:06 PM »

Advice #1:
By all means, try to preserve and retain the three sides that are not damaged: Thiersch's re-diaphragming will inevitably change the timbre of the capsule, but its sound for front-side pickup will stay pretty much the same when only one rear diaphragm is replaced.
And as the two well-working sides facing the front are original, don't chance a sonic mismatch, if you can.

Advice #2: Try to resolder the broken connection in the center wire. re-wiring will be a pain.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Mozart

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2022, 05:04:34 PM »

Thank You for your advice!!
I just sent email asking to preserve the originality of the microphone as much as possible.

Best Regards!

klaus

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2022, 07:47:51 PM »

...and try to be specific:
It's easier for Thiersch to start with two fresh diaphragms rather than saving the original one that is still good; make it clear that you want him save the front side if at all possible.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

Mozart

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2022, 06:20:24 AM »

Thank You Klaus! I think I was!

Mozart

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2022, 08:51:19 AM »

This is the reply I got, It might help someone:

"In my opinion, Neumann did not provide for repairs for transducers, but only for the complete replacement. SM2 has 2 double transducers. We try the repair anyway.
Problems are caused by the removal of dust.
Dust is produced when the old membrane is removed, when the adhesive surface is roughened and the backplate is smoothed.
When blowing out the dust, some dust inside can flow to the other opposite (single) transducer. However, if the membrane is mounted there, the dust cannot be removed there.
If you take out the brackets, you can separate the converters from each other. Then you can blow out the transducer individually with the diaphragm removed, but you have to re-clamp with new non-original brackets. It has happened that the backplate disintegrates and has to be re-glued before the membrane can be glued.
Best regards
Siegfried?"

Scratching my head now..

Kosta

klaus

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2022, 10:30:30 AM »

What he said is correct. To explain further:
On SM2 and KM56 the two capsule halves/front and back-are actually somewhat autonomous and don't share the same backplate. Though the two halves share acoustic space their backplates are tied together with three flat metal clamps, they are self-contained.

In order to save the good side intact, the metal clamps holding the two backplates together have to be opened up and removed, the two backplates separated, the defective side re-diaphragmed, and then reassembled. 

As he stated, Thiersch usually does not separate the backplate assembly when he reskins, and what you ask him is a bit more involved, but that is by no means beyond his skills (I have done that repeatedly, to match the best two of four capsule sides  in a stereo head as front sides).
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

soapfoot

• brad allen williams
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2022, 10:52:59 AM »

Is Mr. Thiersch still doing all the repairs himself at 80 years old? Or is it possible he's got some younger apprentices and only does the more complex repairs?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 24 queries.