R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FET 47 Uses...acoustic guitar?  (Read 1667 times)

ji43

• Real Full Name: Johnny I
FET 47 Uses...acoustic guitar?
« on: July 06, 2022, 07:16:55 PM »

I know the FET47 seems to excel on kick and bass cabinet, though I am wondering where else this mic excels?

I saw studio footage of one of my favorite guitarists using a FET47 on acoustic guitar, and it seemed to get a really nice woody, organic sound.

Does anyone here use the FET47 on acoustic guitar, who can speak to how they like it relative to a tube Large Diaphragm Condenser, such as a U67. I tend to prefer the LDC sound to Small Diaphragm Condensers on acoustic in my productions, and thinking of picking up a FET47.

RuudNL

• Real Full Name: Ruud van Steenis
  • There is a solution for every problem!
Re: FET 47 Uses...acoustic guitar?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 09:44:48 AM »

IMHO the U47FET is a multi purpose microphone.
In the radio station I used to work for, we had the U47FET in every studio for spoken word.

Nob Turner

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 06:35:46 PM »

I admit I haven't used a 47fet on acoustic guitar... I have tried it on electric, and not liked it. Seems to me that it tends to emphasize the very low end of the frequency spectrum, hence its use on kick and bass... and that's a range where there's no useful information from an acoustic guitar, so I can imagine having to roll off any boominess it tended to point up in that application.

klaus

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 06:56:24 PM »

Here is another reason why few people use a fet47 on acoustic guitar: it's slow.

Its op-amp design, especially when mated with the K47 capsule, is a sluggish beast in the frequency range that matters, where the chime, airiness and subtleties of a steel string guitar shines and especially need special support.

The M147, also equipped with an opamp and a K47, shows the same opaqueness and slog in the high frequencies.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

ji43

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 08:54:57 PM »

Thank you all for the responses. I tried out a Soyuz 023 Bomblet FET LDC and really liked it on Acoustic Guitar...to my ear, the the FET preserved the transients in a way that I really liked compared to a tube LDC..it felt "fast" and "accurate" in the transients, vs the "warmer/rounder" character of the tube LDC...so I was curious about the FET 47 on acoustic...though it sounds like it won't give me the fast/accurate transients of the Soyuz.

Klaus, is there a particular LDC you feel excels on acoustic guitar? I own a U67, and am going to be acquiring the M49V. I tried some SDCs on acoustic, though found I preferred the LDC as acoustic guitar is typically a primary instrument in my productions, rather than part of a dense mix of other instruemnts.

klaus

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 12:54:23 AM »

One of many classic set-ups  for acoustic guitar: LDC on bout/body and SDC on 12th fret. That covers body AND air.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

ji43

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 02:27:59 PM »

Auditioned the 47 FET on acoustic and agree that it's not the best choice; perhaps for a small bodied guitar where some extended low end was desired, it would work. I prefer the U67 as well as my Soyuz 023 Bomblet FET LDC. I am enjoying blending it with a Ribbon on the body/bout (Coles 4038 or Stager SR3); the ribbon is capturing a really nice picture of the "woody" quality and midrange, with plenty of low end, and the LDC is articulating the top end, and detail. They sound great blended in mono, and also hard panned L and R with the neck LDC left and the body Ribbon right.

soapfoot

• brad allen williams
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2022, 12:05:47 PM »

I've used 47FET on electric guitar cabinet and loved it, for whatever it's worth.

I've also had great results with it on vocal, even preferring it over our tube U47 on some (not the majority) voices.

It's a fantastic microphone, in my view, that suffers from being pigeonholed as a "kick mic" (where it does truly excel, of course).

afterlifestudios

• Real Full Name: John Raham
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2022, 10:06:25 PM »

I've used 47FET on electric guitar cabinet and loved it, for whatever it's worth.

Was that for a specific style / sound electric guitar?  Or a broad range?

soapfoot

• brad allen williams
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2022, 09:51:52 AM »

Was that for a specific style / sound electric guitar?  Or a broad range?

A fairly broad range, and somewhat situation-dependent, but especially good (to me) on 50s-70s Fender amplifiers and their reissues, old Supro/Valco amps, and the types of sounds you'd expect from those.

Exceptionally good on clean, straight-ahead archtop ("jazz"), baritone guitar, lightly-distorted rootsy tremolo-heavy stuff, etc.

I've never tried one on a screaming JCM900 or anything, but I very often stick to moving-coils and ribbons for those applications, anyhow.

afterlifestudios

• Real Full Name: John Raham
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2022, 11:53:22 PM »

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 19 queries.