R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: May we talk about the Neumann M49V ?  (Read 1235 times)

Googaliser

• Real Full Name: Marc Fisher
May we talk about the Neumann M49V ?
« on: July 04, 2022, 03:00:43 AM »

My Neumann Rep contacted me regarding the new M49V. The M49 is a Mic that admittedly, I am less knowledgeable about, but there is some appeal given the original's history - so I have put my deposit down.
I do note that the 'V' variant will employ a "New subminiature tube" (ref: Neumann's Sales Presentation brochure) - and that the original (AC701 ?) seems highly regarded. I am assuming that replacing the tube with an NOS AC701 is either not possible or not trivial.
Would love to hear thoughts and opinions and when available - views on how the M49V sounds - hence the reason I would like to start this thread.

Thank you and best wishes, Marc

gtoledo3

• Real Full Name: George Toledo
Re: May we talk about the Neumann M49V ?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 09:36:06 AM »

May we talk about the M50V?

And Neumann still hasn’t answered me about the M49V, oh well!

Googaliser

• Real Full Name: Marc Fisher
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 09:47:07 AM »

Hi George - that's funny - almost exactly my response to my rep when he mentioned the M49V !

gtoledo3

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 11:40:02 AM »

I mean, they did release M49 and M50 concurrently, and would have them side by side in the catalogs, etc. Same circuit, different capsules.

I have been very surprised for M50 to not be part of the discussion.

I’m also very surprised with a different submini choice, and hope it has been implemented in a way that will last for time without sounding flabby much sooner than a typical fullsize tube, the way that pretty much an submini apart from AC701k get. That has always been the downside to all of these hearing aid related submini tubes, when implemented in typical M49 and U47 related circuits. They sound very good on the front end, but have a sound deterioration within a couple to few years of serious use.

Nowdays, the thought about marketing is to have no one hear about anything until the very day it is available. When people find out about something, it is when they are most primed for purchase.

klaus

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2022, 02:20:41 PM »

Let's talk about any and all details of the M49V a bit closer to launch.

Regarding a reissue of the M50:
Spheric omni mics and capsule heads with all kinds of diaphragm materials already exist, but the problem with reissuing the most desirable version of the M50 lies in an impossibly hard-to-manufacture aluminum capsule.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Kai

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 04:50:10 PM »

Why should it be impossible to fit a piece of thin aluminum on a capsule now, when it was possible then?
If they want to they can, which might open my wallet.

I‘m quite happy with my U47 Fet reissue, it does what the original did.

Regarding miniature tubes:
Good sounding options exist, they don‘t last as long as an AC701, but don‘t cost a fortune to replace.
E.g. my Soundelux E250 uses an EF732; equivalent types are 5840, CV392,  5840A, 5840W, readily available for a few $ and sound good.
Had to replace it once in many year and have a handful of spares lying around.

gtoledo3

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 09:04:28 PM »

It looks to me like the inner structure may just be more expensive to make than the next design they went to, more than the aluminum itself being the issue. But I suppose some high tension aspect could be the factor there, I don’t dispute it.

RuudNL

• Real Full Name: Ruud van Steenis
  • There is a solution for every problem!
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 12:11:14 PM »

Very much interested in the tube they are going to use.
In the M149 they used the 6111 (both triode sections in parallel) and before that the 6S6B.

blackacre

• Real Full Name: Ryan Martin
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2022, 06:05:51 PM »

The official release has happened. Many retailers like vintage king, sweetwater, funky junk etc have listings for the m49v up with interesting information coming in. The thing that makes me most excited comes from the vintage king listing which says the m49v has a switch that will select between the circuit topology of all previous a, b and c circuits from prior m49 versions. So V for variable is a variable circuit.

klaus

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2022, 08:22:44 PM »

As I wrote elsewhere:

The M49V has two internal slider switches which are set by Neumann at the time of ordering to what they regard as the "default" position: remote controlled pattern active, selection and low-cut engaged (both as per my suggestion during the development stage).

But a buyer can order the mic with alternative switch settings ex factory: cardioid only, and/or flat response down past 20Hz.

This order "menu" was more of a political decision than anything else: it was thought that some users would not be comfortable opening the mic and optimizing their preferences by flipping a switch or two, which, of course, they are entitled to do, as long as power is off.
Yes, Neumann thought of that as well: you can power a vintage M49 with the new supply.

What is also a quite intelligent feature: You can even replace the current tube in the reissue with an AC701 (without the need for any additional circuit changes!), then flip a switch inside the mic and power the mic with the new supply, or use an old N52, or NN48, or a Hamptone, or whatever supply you prefer.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

radiovinhet

• Real Full Name: Luis Fernando
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2022, 01:44:56 PM »

Very much interested in the tube they are going to use.
In the M149 they used the 6111 (both triode sections in parallel) and before that the 6S6B.
My m149 (sold) has a ec1000 (8254 tube). But m149 is a hybrid mic, the tube is used to color the sound (a little), not a real tube amp.

radiovinhet

• Real Full Name: Luis Fernando
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2022, 01:46:21 PM »

Hi Klaus, what type of tube is used on re-issue? Maybe 6111, 8254???

klaus

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2022, 01:48:23 PM »

Neiter of the afore mentioned tubes is used in the M49V. Please read by review at the top of this page for more details on the tube.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.