R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lacquer sealing (Conformal Coating) of Capsule Components  (Read 685 times)

gtoledo3

• Real Full Name: George Toledo
Lacquer sealing (Conformal Coating) of Capsule Components
« on: June 22, 2022, 11:55:29 AM »

It was just popping out to me that it appears that at some point the capsule ring on Neumann mics appeared to be sealed with conformal coating, but that now it doesn’t appear to be.

Any thoughts on this?

I am also wondering; does Neumann still use a totally uncoated backplate or have their been any updates to use any sort of coating substance to protect the diaphragm if it hits the backplate.

klaus

Re: conformal coating and backplate coating
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 01:12:39 PM »

Unlike AKG, Neumann has never used coating to reduce electrostatic attraction between diaphragm and backplate. To keep the two closely spaced planes apart, Neumann uses a different method since introduction of the second K87 generation.

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

gtoledo3

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 02:54:05 PM »

There appears to be a lacquer used to seal the outer mounting ring screws on many Neumann capsules, but I *think* there no longer appears to be?

I believe it to have been something along these lines:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B8RY7M6/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B07B8RY7M6&linkCode=as2&tag=debriscom&linkId=27726d72a7ec9a306f656b05087e5264

It first got on my radar from reading about Bock adding conformal coating to capsules (at some point), and wondering what that meant.

gtoledo3

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 02:55:06 PM »

Mic Parts dot com also mentions using it to seal solder joints. https://microphone-parts.com/pages/diy-tools

klaus

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 03:07:38 PM »

Thanks for the clarification.
On center-terminated capsules, like Neumann's, the sealing of diaphragm and backplate assembly screws prevents premature moisture backdown and shorting of the capacitance between diaphragm and backplate., especially when contamination is present.

Neumann still uses sealing lacquer (less fancy name for "comformal coating") on capsules, but it's sporadic, really thin and barely noticeable.

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

gtoledo3

Re: Lacquer sealing (Conformal Coating) of Capsule Components
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 04:44:18 PM »

Ah, ok. I did think I saw something, just not the very obvious amount on certain era. Thanks, Klaus.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 19 queries.