R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nylon C414EB capsule split in two  (Read 836 times)

jackreynolds

Nylon C414EB capsule split in two
« on: May 18, 2022, 03:31:50 PM »

I’m looking for advice whether a Nylon C414EB capsule can be repaired, if it has separated into two halves as shown in these pictures.

There appears to be a thin ring of Teflon or Nylon with glue residue between diaphragm ring backplate assembly and the backplate electrical contact.

I suppose I’m really wondering whether I should attempt to glue the pieces back together with cyanoacrylate or is it likely beyond repair?

The diaphragms look ok but im guessing some dust will have got in through the backplate holes while it’s been rattling around inside the head basket.

klaus

Re: Nylon C414EB capsule split in two
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 04:37:38 AM »

I am all for experimenting.

What I would do in your situation: after removing any contaminants from the inner diaphragm surface and backplate surface with a fine brush, press-fit the diaphragm ring onto the backplate assembly, as it originally was constructed, but do not under any circumstance use  adhesive, including cyanoacrylate! Just press-fit for now, to see whether the capacitance you dialed in will yield good frequency balance.

If the sound is too boomy, increase the space between backplate and diaphragm ring by using less force on the parts you pressed together, and if there is too little bass, do the opposite.

Once the sound is ok, do not change or touch anything, but apply a couple of drops of E6000 to three or four spots all around the circumference at the gap where backplate and diaphragm ring meet, to permanently arrest the current setting (E6000 can be removed without residue, if you need to readjust later on).

Please report back with your results!
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Kai

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 04:53:29 AM »

What do you have to loose?

————————
Obsolete now as Klaus anwered:
(Only that some cyanoacrylate glue might vapor and contaminate.
Maybe Klaus has an idea what glue works best.

I found “ 3M™ Scotch Weld™ DP 8010 “ is said to be suited for PTFE, if a primer like  “LOCTITE® 770 Primer “ is used.
An Amazon search for Teflon or PTFE glue yields results too.
A primer is mandatory.)

————————

If you put in something permanently sticky, e.g. where the white cable runs, chances are good that it will collect and hold possible dust over the time.

jackreynolds

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 06:49:42 AM »

It looks as thought the press fit may have failed some while ago and been glued in place with what looks like cyano or similar.

I'm guessing the thin, what I'm assuming to be Teflon ring is essentially a spacer to electrically isolate the front and back diaphragms?

I did buy some adhesive with a primer designed for Teflon but am wary of the glue contaminating the diaphragm.

I like the idea of a few drops of E6000 as that's a lot more controllable.

I'll give that a go and will report back.

Thanks for your knowledge!

J
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 19 queries.