R/E/P > Klaus Heyne's Mic Lab

M149 Im considering--capsule area pics

(1/1)

Krackle:
Hi Folks..

I am considering making an offer on an M149 in my area.

Thought I'd post some pictures of the capsule region and verify that it's original (seems that it is to my eyes); maybe someone can can verify?
This is a 1996 build. The tube module was replaced by Neumann/Sennheiser in 2019. Normal cosmetic aging apparent. No dents, or signs of mutilation.

Hoping knowledgeable eyes here can see enough to verify this capsule as proper.

Edit to add: How were the K47 capsules sounding in and around 1996?
Perhaps more to the point, when did Neumann start having issues with inconsistent sounding capsules?

Thanks so much.

klaus:
Period-correct, all original capsule for your mic.
It's a capsule era with few if any issues, in my experience.

Krackle:
Hi Klaus, thanks for looking at that, i do appreciate it.

I passed on this one-had a chance to audition an M149 earlier this week and it felt like I was using an FET/solid state mic. Some good stuff going on in the low frequencies, but the whole top half of the frequency spectrum felt slightly clinical and seemed to be on the edge of being shrill in the pesky upper mids.

I had a chance to compare a Neumann TLM102 to the M149-which i think is always valuable when auditioning mics. I had no previous experience with the TLM102. But I much preferred the voicing on the TLM102 compared to the M149.
I was surprised how high the TLM102 was punching here, considering the thousands and thousands of dollars gap between these two mics.

Thanks again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version