R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C-37A Shock Isolating Yoke Material - Deteriorating Rubber Replacement?  (Read 943 times)

Spindrift

I have some C-37A microphones that have rotten rubber in the isolation section of the yokes. This makes them flop around on a mic stand. Does anyone have any insight into how to disassemble the lower stand mount section of these connectors and what material might be a suitable replacement? The rubber used in these mics (throughout) is thoroughly rotten and brittle. (See my previous post about the bad rubber tube holder/damper.)

klaus

Re: C-37A Shock Isolating Yoke Material - Deteriorating Rubber Replacement?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 01:43:34 PM »

I am not a Sony rubber mount expert, but it looks like the top knurled nut in your picture has a female thread (the corresponding male thread is poking out on the left side of the mount).

I'd start with some (low odor!) penetrating oil and let it wander down the threads of this section for a few hours. Then I would use a hair dryer and let the metal expand a bit. The I would wrap a piece of leather scrap around the knurled section, to avoid marring, and gently grip it with Channellock® pliers and try to turn counterclockwise.

But there may be more trouble under the hood: usually rubber suspensions of mic mounts are vulcanized to the metal making it hard to remove and replace without some reengineering.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

afterlifestudios

• Real Full Name: John Raham
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 10:27:21 AM »

I had to replace the rubber in the mounts of my c37p’s.  I’ll check my notes and report back. 

Vertigorecording

• Real Full Name: Charlie Bolois
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 02:16:57 PM »

I have successfully done this a few times by simply buying an assortment of small O rings from somewhere ( I think it was Harbor Freight once, the hardware store another time), and after removing the old cracked and dried up rubber parts, wrap the O rings around the post until you get enough of them on there to make a snug fit. It worked out pretty well.
-Charlie Bolois @ Vertigo Recording Services

Spindrift

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 11:40:04 PM »

Thank you for the suggestions. I will give them a try.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 18 queries.