R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's to be said about this late vintage u87 with a fairly high serial number??  (Read 1217 times)

bmab

• Real Full Name: Johan Brorson Pebe

So, I got hold of this u87 which seems to be a vintage one. Though the serial number is surprisingly high: 58 649

Also I checked the capsule which I suspect might have been re-skinned? What would you say about this Klaus?

/bm

bmab

2 more

bmab

2 more

bmab

and last two

klaus

I no longer have the time to help authenticating or dating a mic on forums I contribute to. You can contract me for that type of service outside of this forum. 
Unless of course, we have a case as intriguing as this one, where the information may be of general interest.

So what we have here:

* a mic amp made in the mid-1970s

* the original bottom connector bell was replaced and a new one added years after the mic was made. The serial number is from the era of early  (1991) U87Ai models, and points to a repair/replacement by Neumann in Berlin.

* a replacement K87 capsule, made in 2020, was fitted onto a replacement head assembly and replacement switch assembly (the two plastic sections on the upper part of the mic amp and the head section containing the connecting pins). These parts were frequently replaced because the ivory-colored plastic used in assemblies made in the 1970s did not last. They were brittle and eventually disintegrated.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

fineline

• Real Full Name: John Med

Thanks a lot!

So this actually seems to be pretty legit then after all?
legitimately OEM Neumann components throughout, but a hodgepodge of components that are not period-correct for one specific U87 manufacturing year. KH

-I thought the body was mid -80s for sure, but you can tell from the components that it's actually mid -70s?
the circuit number (020) gives it away, plus the specific brand and type of components used. KH

-And capsule appears to be more or less a brand new genuine k87 then? No wonder the membrane looked so new.
made in 2020 as I wrote. KH

And the serial on the bottom of the capsule head (B 6728) - does that also indicate production in the mid 70s??
Neumann's head assembly numbers are not coded in a way that I can decipher. KH

bmab

Wow! Just excellent!

Last question:

If it's actually Neumann Berlin who did the repair/exchange, would they be able to tell me more about when the mic was originally built? Would the keep records of the repair so it might be possible to find out original serial number?

(the mic was bought on ebay from a german vintage dealer so I'm pretty sure he wont have any more info...)

Manufacturing dates of Neumann mics are not available, even in-house, only the dates when a mic was shipped to the distributor.
You can send an email inquiry to Neumann, and, if it was Neumann who did the work, they may disclose when it was done, but I have not much hope that you will find out the original serial number. KH
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.