R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Neumann/Sennheiser Stopped Selling Capsules And Other Parts  (Read 10827 times)

gtoledo3

• Real Full Name: George Toledo
Re: Neumann/Sennheiser Stopped Selling Capsules And Other Parts
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2022, 12:47:37 PM »

One aspect of Neumann asking for serial numbers that I find distasteful is that historically they have been insanely indiscreet with that information, sharing it in public, in print, near countless times.

I shouldn’t have to exchange that information to get parts I’ve been able to buy on websites for, what, a couple decades now?

klaus

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2022, 01:05:01 PM »

That's why they stopped publishing serial number data linked to owners of mics.

The process currently used is uncontroversial. It's only a two-way conversation between owner and company which is not shared with third parties.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

soapfoot

• brad allen williams
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2022, 02:25:59 AM »

Klaus, I wonder whether you've got information on how Neumann is administrating the serial number check, or do you know someone whom we can ask?

If someone supplies Neumann with a valid serial number upon request, do they simply trust that the person actually owns the microphone, or is some proof of purchase required?

If the former, I'm not sure much would stop a determined DIY enthusiast from simply "borrowing" the serial number of a perfectly-functioning mic (owned by themselves or a colleague... or even an eBay/Reverb photo!). But the requirement probably would prevent someone from ordering several hundred capsules at once for a production run (which may be the only real goal here?)

A proof of purchase requirement could make things tricky with older vintage mics, particularly those that might have had parts swapped out over the years. One of our U77s actually has a body tube from a U67 (it came to us that way) so determining provenance could get messy.

klaus

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2022, 03:11:37 AM »

Stating model and serial number of the mic when I order a capsule has been sufficient so far to avoid Neumann microphone detectives knocking at my door.

Come to think about it: the way mics are bought and sold would make it impossible for anyone to trace ownership changes, especially for a small staff at Neumann who probably has better things to do in times of Covid.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

ilcaccillo

• Real Full Name: iL Caccillo
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2022, 12:25:05 PM »

Just to remind everyone:

Neumann stopped selling capsules without proof of microphone ownership

Just to be clear, in my country I can buy the K49 capsule (T3-053291 - K49 microphone capsule) directly from Neumann's distributor without having to provide a serial number or any proof of microphone ownership.
Maybe it's not the same everywhere (I'm located in Europe)

I received a pro-forma invoice for it

soapfoot

• brad allen williams
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2022, 02:42:54 PM »

Based on the last two responses, this whole thing might have been a tempest in a teacup
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 18 queries.