R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggested listening to learn about pre-mastering mix aims?  (Read 1805 times)

morls

• Real Full Name: Stephen Morley
Suggested listening to learn about pre-mastering mix aims?
« on: June 08, 2021, 02:18:47 AM »

Hi,

I'm running a small home studio, got some nice gear which I'm getting to know quite well. I'm trying to get the basics right with some nice outboard gear - compressors, EQs and reverbs. It's an 8-track setup, running through an analog desk for mixing, using the DAW for capture and playback.

I'm working a lot on my mixing/balance skills, which are still pretty rudimentary. As I'm getting further into the way my particular setup sounds and how the gear works together I'm always listening to different recordings critically, trying to hear things like balance, reverbs, overall tone and the myriad elements that make up a track. I was struck today by a thought that all the material I'm listening to has been mastered, and while it's great to hear the finished products, I don't have much listening material that is at the post-mix/balance, pre-master stage. I suppose this is a big disadvantage of working from home, and not being exposed to the daily mixing and recording that happens in a working studio environment. I'm mostly self-taught, so I suppose it goes with the territory.

So, I was wondering if any of the more experienced engineers could suggest some listening to give more of an idea of what a well-balanced mix sounds like before going off to be mastered? Such material might not exist, but my thinking is that I'm not going about things the right way if I try to emulate the sounds of mastered recordings while mixing (specifically the overall sound energy, reverb tails, upper range EQ and final sparkle and polish).

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Stephen

RadarDoug2

• Real Full Name: Doug Jane
Re: Suggested listening to learn about pre-mastering mix aims?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 02:25:00 AM »

Mastering is very over hyped. If you listen to commercial mixes on your speakers and it sounds good, then mix to that. Having accurate monitors is the key, and that includes having a very accurate bottom end. Lots of bedroom warriors listen on small speakers with no subs, and so have no idea what their bottom end is doing.

Papanate

Re: Suggested listening to learn about pre-mastering mix aims?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 08:03:59 AM »

So, I was wondering if any of the more experienced engineers could suggest some listening to give more of an idea of what a well-balanced mix sounds like before going off to be mastered? Such material might not exist, but my thinking is that I'm not going about things the right way if I try to emulate the sounds of mastered recordings while mixing (specifically the overall sound energy, reverb tails, upper range EQ and final sparkle and polish).

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Listening to finished records can sort of assist you in your final mastering - the thing is you won't know who made the decisions that you like - like a reverb tail - was it the mastering engineer or mixing engineer or the recording engineer?  Getting to know the the mix before it goes to mastering is also not going to help - because there are so few examples - what you can do is search for stems of albums (Rick Beato has a lot in his video series) and listen to those.  It's quite an eye opener because different people have very different ideas on what to send to Mastering.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 18 queries.