R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Later release U47 fet in matte black  (Read 1255 times)

Gabriele Ponticiello

Later release U47 fet in matte black
« on: February 24, 2021, 01:51:31 PM »

Hello Mr Heyne!
I am looking at an original, apparently early '80s, U47 fet in Matte Black (?) finish. The seller has sent pictures but unfortunately one showing the bottom is missing (so far). Seller also reported that he doesn't remember any "-6 dB" switch. While gathering info I came across a black U47 fet for sale in California and actually the switch is not present. On this one there's a sticker on the top of the bottom half (sorry about that) that says "Circuit Diagram 08". My question is: has production evolved into different revisions of the circuit? Should I expect the black I am looking at to sound like the grey, older one I already have?
Thank you very much, Gabe

uwe ret

• Real Full Name: Uwe Sattler
Re: Later release U47 fet in matte black
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 05:08:23 PM »

During the later period of the original U47fet production the switch used to configure the output transformer for 200Ω or 50Ω (= -6dB) was no longer available, and circuit versions 07 and 08 no longer featured this switch. By that time the request for 50Ω impedance microphones had disappeared, and the microphones were hard wired for the higher output (200Ω impedance). As long as both units outputs are configured the same, their technical data will be identical.

Gabriele Ponticiello

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 04:32:52 AM »

Thank you Uwe!
I guess that answers my question.
So... the bottom switch was actually an impedance selector... I am guessing switching between serial and parallel configuration of two secondaries, since the -6 dB halving of the level.
Thank you very much!!!
Best to you all, Gabe

klaus

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 03:47:47 PM »

So... the bottom switch was actually an impedance selector... I am guessing switching between serial and parallel configuration of two secondaries, since the -6 dB halving of the level.

Correct.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 18 queries.