R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sennheiser UK no longer allowed to sell K49 capsules  (Read 1627 times)

Timjag

• Real Full Name: Timothy Hamper
Sennheiser UK no longer allowed to sell K49 capsules
« on: January 30, 2021, 06:34:33 AM »

So after a full service of a poor old 47 (Damage extensive had been used as a parts monster, capsule had no skin, etc) the capsule will go to Siegmund for a reskin, I’m not interested in a discussion about the sonic qualities of Thiersch capsules, I am, or was, planning on providing the owner with a reskin of the original and a new Neumann made K49 capsule with a mount from AMI.

I contacted Sennheiser here in the UK as I have many times before to order a new k49, only to be told Neumann will no longer supply them unless it’s part of a service undertaken by them at the factory.

I’m not about to send the microphone to Germany in the middle of covid, and now with the awfulness of Brexit customs it’s beyond the pale. Not to mention the £350 the owner has already paid me for the work.

I have sourced a new capsule locally and the mic will be completed once I receive the various parts.

I just wondered if anyone else had encountered this phenomenon? I presume someone at Neumann was getting a bit proprietorial about the Neumann brand and that person will no doubt move to another company and be proprietorial there.

Still it’s a bit of a shame that a company who’s always been great about parts should be so difficult

klaus

Re: Sennheiser UK no longer allowed to sell K49 capsules
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 01:44:47 PM »

Tim,
I posted a similar reply on another forum, where a Neumann owner was not able to receive capsules anymore from the same seller (thread since deleted by that forum's moderator):

From what understand, the seller, which used Sennheiser's color scheme and logos on its website, is a privately-held company not affiliated with Sennheiser The company offered core components of Neumann microphones without limit. This is usually a red flag for Neumann: boutique manufacturers will buy quantities of transformers, capsules and other proprietary parts as building bocks for their own creations, and thus are in direct competition with Neumann/Sennheiser.

Official Neumann dealers in good standing can continue to order and sell capsules to individuals, but not in quantities.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Timjag

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 02:44:39 PM »

Thanks Klaus,

I’m actually a bit surprised but it makes sense now. That company - now called Showcoms used to be the UK distributer for Sennheiser I didn’t even realise it was a Uk franchise because they always called themselves Sennheiser,  but it seems they’ve lost the distribution deal. I suppose in modern age franchised dealers are not really a necessary.

So I stand corrected. Out of interest klaus, where might I buy a K49 in future. (Not that I see an awful lot of capsule-less M49/U47!)

klaus

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 03:27:16 PM »

You buy directly from Neumann.
Contact your Neumann-authorized service center in your country.
(In the USA that is Sennheiser in Old Lyme, CT. Bruce Gentry is the parts manager.
In Germany it is Neumann, Berlin, the service/parts dep. tel. number is on their website)
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Timjag

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 04:02:11 PM »

Cheers Klaus!

uwe ret

• Real Full Name: Uwe Sattler
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 04:09:15 PM »

The "real" Sennheiser subsidiary for the UK is:

Sennheiser UK Ltd.
Pacific House, Third Avenue
Globe Park, Marlow,
Buckinghamshire,
SL7 1EY
Phone: +44 (0 )333 240 8185
[email protected]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 18 queries.