R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1176 Meter Issue  (Read 5241 times)

DanDan

• Real Full Name: Dan FitzGerald
1176 Meter Issue
« on: January 29, 2021, 06:25:55 PM »

I am lucky to own two original 1176LN Revision H. On one of them, the  Meter is behaving in mysterious ways.......  Badly enough that I cannot calibrate the unit.
It just keeps doing different things. I am trying to figure out if it is mechanical or electrical or bizarrely both.

Starting from right now it is off. Meter at approx -10Vu.  If I gently drum on the meter with my fingers, it will descend to around -inf.
Turn on GR button..... It will rise to 0VU.  +4 or +8 it drops down to around -10, and again the drumming will get it to drop to -inf.
Now, during Cal attempts it will sometimes just stick somewhere in the middle, like 12 O Clock. Again drumming will get it to drop or a blast of tone will rise it seemingly normally.
Details:- I think is is intermittently wavering a minute amount, as if the DC driving it is dirty.
On a voice test the meter behaves seemingly normally, including GR, but again settles at -10VU.
Mea Culpa, I have adjusted the mechanical zero in the past. I did not realise this was a do not touch, factory setting.

If I am further lucky, someone here will have seen this type of behaviour before......
Thoughts?
Also, where could I buy a new Meter if I need one?

Tx in advance, DD
Dan FitzGerald  MIOA MAES
www.irishacoustics.com
www.soundsound.ie

RadarDoug2

• Real Full Name: Doug Jane
Re: 1176 Meter Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 11:00:23 PM »

Sounds like a sticky meter.

DanDan

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 04:56:07 PM »

Tz Doug. It does indeed. Although there have been indications that the meter drive circuitry may be in trouble too. Intermittent oddness...... Before I have to buy another meter from the States, I am inclined to take a look inside.  First issue, how to dissolve the Loctite on the meter holding screws?
In a UA manual I found a warning not to tweak the physical zero screws on the front of the meters. Too late! Anyone here known what to do with them?
www.irishacoustics.com
www.soundsound.ie

DanDan

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 03:19:50 PM »

Right then. Meter is extracted and opened up. The coil is very close to the magnet at top right vs a big gap at bottom left. Anyone know how to recentre?
www.irishacoustics.com
www.soundsound.ie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 20 queries.