R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you tell me what was modded on my U67?  (Read 2775 times)

soapfoot

• brad allen williams
Re: Can you tell me what was modded on my U67 via pictures?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2021, 11:17:57 PM »

Neumann used the best resistors they could find when they built these mikes, but they do fail. Replacement with a cheap carbon resistor I find insulting to the heritage.

Yes, I find that strange also.

The first mic I built, I used this style of resistor, because up until then the only tube electronics projects I had done involved guitar amps, where old Allen-Bradley carbon composition resistors were rumored to add "something special," so I thought the same would be true in tube microphones.

I now know that to have been mostly misguided. But if Klaus says this one isn't hurting anything, I'd trust his expertise.

klaus

Re: Can you tell me what was modded on my U67 via pictures?
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2021, 02:18:06 AM »

(...)But if Klaus says this one isn't hurting anything, I'd trust his expertise.
Let me slightly rephrase that:
I think there are bigger fish to fry in a mic like that. You would first need to analyze the exact impact a given material or construction has on the sound of the (obsolete) component; then you would need to hunt for a replacement of similar material and construction; then you would need to undertake listening tests, and... good luck with that for a single-component exchange.

In the present case, the resistor in question regulates the heating voltage, nothing more, nothing less. So you choose you battles, given a limited time on this earth.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 17 queries.