R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: K67 Style Capsule vs CK12 style capsule sound?  (Read 232 times)

MSR74

• Real Full Name: Mickey Rogers
K67 Style Capsule vs CK12 style capsule sound?
« on: July 24, 2020, 10:15:31 pm »

This is a really ignorant question so please don't flame me.

Why do the K67 styled capsules sound different than a CK12 style capsule? I tend to prefer a 251 styled mic or even a C12 styled mic over a 67, 47. I mean, I know that fundamentally they are built differently, Acoustically, what makes them sound different? So I guess I tend to prefer the sound of a CK12 styled capsule vs a K67 and an M7 etc. Perhaps I prefer the Austrian sound to the German sound. I don't know...

K67 styled capsules sound a certain way while CK12's are different. I use "styled" because I personally have never used mics with actual Neumann or AKG parts, so I can only comment based upon my experience with "styled" caps, although I had UM 92.1S and didn't personally care too much for it on my voice. Maybe my voice just resonates better on CK12 (style) caps (and their circuits)? I knoww the mic is the sum of it's components.

Thanks.

Kai

Re: K67 Style Capsule vs CK12 style capsule sound?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 12:58:09 pm »

...I use "styled" because I personally have never used mics with actual Neumann or AKG parts, so I can only comment based upon my experience with "styled" caps, although I had UM 92.1S ...
There might be one mic that you can possibly afford, that is close to a true C12:

The AKG C414 TL II, or it's current version, the AKG C414 XL II.

The treble boost is a bit lower pitched and less pronounced than the original C12, bass and proximity effect a bit stronger, but might be worth to try.
Combined with a tube preamp and a bit more sparkle dialed in by EQ it's not too bad.

The AKG C12 VR - AKG's own reissue of the original tube powered C12 - missed to hit the spot, wouldn't recommend.
Pages: [1]   Go Up