R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: K67 Style Capsule vs. CK12 Style Sound?  (Read 2964 times)

MSR74

• Real Full Name: Mickey Rogers
K67 Style Capsule vs. CK12 Style Sound?
« on: July 24, 2020, 10:15:31 PM »

Why do K67- style capsules sound different than a CK12 style capsule?
I tend to prefer an ELA M 251-style mic or even a C12 over a U67 or U47. I know that fundamentally they are built differently, but  what makes them sound different? I prefer the sound of a CK12-style capsule over a K67 and M7, etc. Perhaps I prefer the Austrian sound to the German sound?I don't know...

I use "style" because I personally have never used mics with actual Neumann or AKG parts, so I can only comment based upon my experience with "styled" caps, although I had UM 92.1S and didn't personally care too much for it on my voice. Maybe my voice just resonates better on CK12 (style) capsules (and their circuits)? I know the mic is the sum of its components.

Thanks.

Kai

Re: K67 Style Capsule vs CK12 style capsule sound?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 12:58:09 PM »

There might be one mic that you can possibly afford, that is close to a true C12:

The AKG C414 TL II, or its current version, the AKG C414 XL II.

The treble boost is a bit lower pitched and less pronounced than the original C12, bass and proximity effect a bit stronger, but might be worth a try.
Combined with a tube preamp and a bit more sparkle dialed in by EQ it's not too bad.

The AKG C12 VR - AKG's own reissue of the original tube powered C12 - missed to hit the spot, I wouldn't recommend.

MSR74

• Real Full Name: Mickey Rogers
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 09:57:21 AM »

Hi Kai.

Thanks for your reply.

From what I have heard, it seems there is a difference in the mids- on a U67 maybe a little more pointed and present, while the ELA M 251 exhibits a slightly more broad sound.

Am I hearing accurately?

Kai

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 04:00:49 PM »

I think it's more than just some static tonal differences, even more with close miking.
There are so many factors a microphone reacts on, for example, what happens with changes in distance and angle someone sings or plays into it.

AKG and Neumann have a different house sound that comes through with most of their products.

This reminds me of a session where I had a really great singer, and when we came to choose the right microphone for the recording we ended up with an AKG.
She commented: "I always did sound good on AKG".

My thought was, she sounded great on every microphone we tried.
But she was right, the microphone complemented nicely with her warm alto voice.

mbrebes

• Real Full Name: Michael Brebes
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 11:54:56 AM »

To answer your original question, the main difference between K67 style capsules and CK12 capsules lies in the differences in construction.  K67 capsules are center terminated, where there is a screw in the center of the diaphragm  which pulls the tension at the center.  Most vibrations of the diaphragm are between the outside edge and the center.  The CK12 capsule is only edge terminated so the diaphragm can vibrate  from any edge point to another edge point, creating quite different combinations.  Differing hole patterns in the backplates also can affect the tonal responses of the diaphragms.

klaus

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 04:29:20 PM »

There is much more that separates the Neumann from the AKG "family of sound"

And don't forget the special "resonator" plates in AKG CK12 capsules with their scooped dish shape which were added to the backplates of all CK12 versions. They significantly affect the capsule's upper midrange.

In sum I think it is safe to proclaim: both families of sound are distinct, and none  is better than the other, but they are complementary and one may be more appropriate in a given situation than the other.

What is regrettable: only one o the two companies still makes their capsules pretty much exactly like they used to, decades ago.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 23 queries.