R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gold Sputtering Thickness on Re-Diaphragmed Vintage Capsules  (Read 1431 times)

Mannix

• Real Full Name: Ernie Mannix

Noticing that on many re-diaphragmed vintage capsules, you can no longer see the holes beneath the PVC/Mylar/whatever.  Is this normal or a flaw in the material/installation?

I know for instance that there were different thicknesses on CK12 capsules over time. Is this a thickness issue or just a 'new' look?

David Satz

What holes do you mean--the ones in the backplate of the capsule?

klaus

I think you mean the sputtering thickness of the conductive gold on the diaphragms?? (I changed your title accordingly)

Two points on that:

1. Sputtering thickness does not seem to have a direct, audible effect on the quality of a Neumann capsule. Neumann used a low sputtering density on its capsules in the 1960s (f. ex. their brass K47/49/67), yet, these were just as good in terms of measurable and audible quality as those, later on, where you could no longer see the outline of the backplate holes through the sputtering (the feature your were referring to).

2. The red flag and alarm siren went off when I read "re-diaphragmed vintage capsules". I hope you realize that all of them are junk, compared to the exquisite quality of Neumann's products. In that light, the sputtering density seems to be almost an afterthought in light of the enormous quality drop that third-party re-diaphragmings present.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Mannix

Re: Gold Sputtering Thickness on Re-Diaphragmed Vintage Capsules
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 04:14:50 PM »

Yes, ty. Correct, I was referring to the holes on the backplate.

In regards to the originality of diaphragms on CK12 capsules... almost every c12 I see for sale with an original capsule seems to be re-diaphragmed. How rare is it for a 50's or early 60s CK12 to survive?

klaus

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 06:35:26 PM »

75% to 80% in my experience. But the good ones don't go on the eBay and Reverb trash heap...
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Mannix

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 08:33:41 PM »

I am getting very down on Ebay for many more reasons than just the ugly selection of junk gear.  Recently however, I was delighted with my purchases of a truly wonderful NOS GE 5 star 6072... for a very reasonable price, and some great Belden vintage cables.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.