R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Technica 5045 small condensor microphone, any users?  (Read 1404 times)

Glenn Bucci

Audio Technica 5045 small condensor microphone, any users?
« on: April 22, 2020, 03:47:13 PM »

I read a positive interview of the Audio Technica 5045 as well as several positive videos. I am curious if anyone has actually used this mic on a recording session and your thoughts.

The specs on it appear to be pretty good as well. Audio-Technica claim that this configuration of rectangular element provides a smoother 5kHz to 20kHz off-axis frequency response than would be possible using a conventional circular capsule. The capsule's diaphragm is two microns thick, with a vapour-deposited gold conductive layer. They are all 'pre-aged', so that their characteristics remain consistent over the mic's lifetime. The diaphragm is also moulded with a patented double-wave 'honeycomb' surface pattern, which increases the effective diaphragm area slightly while enhancing its stability and rigidity. This is an electret capsule, which stores a static electric charge on the inside of the backplate, and their manufacture involves another pre-ageing process to ensure that the charge remains stable and linear. (Sound on Sound magazine info).(Thanks for the disclaimer at the end. Please read and absorb the above at your own peril, as none of these statements have been independently verified. SoS is not a trustworthy source here- it's advertorial content, published in a magazine dependent on audio-industry advertising. KH)

It seems getting this mic or a pair would be a better choice than the Neumann KM 184 for acoustic guitars and percussion.

klaus

Re: Audio Technica 5045 small condensor microphone, any users?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 04:12:36 PM »

Try one out and report back!
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Glenn Bucci

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 09:17:21 PM »

I may have the ability to try one out. I was just hopeful those familiar with microphone construction had an opportunity to try one out and would be able to provide their insight on the construction and design. I know Al Schmitt loves them on drums overheads, percussion and acoustic guitar which you can hear him say on YouTube.

For those interested, here is an example of how the mic sounds compared to several other condenser mics.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/best-small-diaphragm-condenser-mics-acoustic-guitar/

mbrebes

• Real Full Name: Michael Brebes
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 05:55:48 PM »

I tried a pair of them as overheads.  They sound completely different facing front-to-back versus facing sideways.  The cardioid pattern is much wider on the axis vertical with the mic and capsule, with the cardioid pattern being much narrower in the horizontal or side-to-side axis.  Because of that, I find them a difficult mic to work with.

Glenn Bucci

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 09:17:25 AM »

You bring up a good point on the large diaphragm.

The Røde TF5 is another mic that maybe a better choice. British recording engineer Tony Faulkner has helped design this mic according to the Røde web site and video they made.

The SOS review compares it to the KM 84 and KM184 with insightful information. I know many don't trust magazine reviews but I trust Hugh Robjohns from SOS who is a former BBC engineer. I had him at my house and he helped me update my studio. This guy has knowledge and integrity.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.