R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pair of Klaus Heyne AKG C414 EB brass capsule on Ebay  (Read 3128 times)

Kai

Pair of Klaus Heyne AKG C414 EB brass capsule on Ebay
« on: April 12, 2020, 08:44:50 AM »

Klaus, a pair of AKG C414 EB brass capsule, modded by you, is on sale on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/AKG-C414-EB-Klaus-Heyne-Microphone-Stereo-Pair-Vintage-Brass-Capsule-Rare-Mic/174196514516

Lots of detailed pictures, fun to look at - if someone is into this like me.

These seem to come as pair, any reason why you did change the (68nF) tube ceramic caps on one with Wima foil, and left the other original?
OK - these are not fully in the audio path, beeing DC filter caps in the capsule biasing.

afterlifestudios

• Real Full Name: John Raham
Re: Pair of Klaus Heyne AKG C414 EB brass capsule on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 11:42:46 AM »

Both capsules seem to have significant patches of missing gold.  I wonder how they perform?  I’d probably want to flip those around, as the back sides look better.  But maybe they don’t sound better?

klaus

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 12:29:13 PM »

These seem to come as pair, any reason why did change the (68nF) tube ceramic caps on one with Wima foil, and left the other original?
OK - these are not fully in the audio path, beeing DC filter caps in the capsule biasing.

Ahhh... assumptions! Have you thought that maybe a change of parts sourcing or availability might have occurred after the first one was made, 500-some mics later? Or these were exchanged during factory service in Germany or Austria?

I certainly never changed these, and did not address these parts from different batches, as, you already mentioned, they are not in the audio path.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

klaus

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 12:39:20 PM »

Both capsules seem to have significant patches of missing gold. 

The splotches are not caused by missing gold but spit or liquid deposits (the tiny speck of missing gold is irrelevant to performance). That's why the front sides look worse.
There are still too many owners of expensive microphones with irreplaceable capsules who don't get it...
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

afterlifestudios

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 01:33:13 PM »

There are still too many owners of expensive microphones with irreplaceable capsules who don't get it...

Get what, exactly?  Pop/spit screens? 

klaus

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 01:34:57 PM »

Exactly. So cheap, so easy to use, so effective!
You can clean a contaminated CK12 diaphragm only so many times before the gold lifts and the noise goes up.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

afterlifestudios

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 01:36:11 PM »

Ok. Phew!  I guess I get it!

afterlifestudios

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 01:42:18 PM »

Maybe too far off topic now....  In these virus-phobic times I’ve picked up a UV sterilization lamp (non ozone producing).  I’m not worried about it damaging my pop screens, but what about using it in proximity of microphones / capsules etc.  I don’t want to subject my brass ck12’s (or Berlin M7 etc) to anything that might upset it’s fragile chemistry and composition...  Do you have any insight into this?

Kai

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 03:22:54 PM »

Maybe too far off topic now....  In these virus-phobic times I’ve picked up a UV sterilization lamp (non ozone producing).  I’m not worried about it damaging my pop screens, but what about using it in proximity of microphones / capsules etc.  I don’t want to subject my brass ck12’s (or Berlin M7 etc) to anything that might upset it’s fragile chemistry and composition...  Do you have any insight into this?
UV, in a normal atmospheric environment, always produces Ozon.
Ozon eats everything, plastic, rubber, even metal.
But to kill viruses in a significant or even protective way you really need much of UV.

Skip that idea.

BTW: Ozon, even in small amounts, is very easy to smell.
If you don't smell it when entering the room from outside (smells like swimhall) there's non or not much.

Kai

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 03:31:08 PM »

Ahhh... assumptions! Have you thought that maybe a change of parts sourcing or availability might have occurred after the first one was made, 500-some mics later? Or these were exchanged during factory service in Germany or Austria?

I certainly ever changed these, and did not address these differing parts, as, you already mentioned it, they are not in the audio path.
Forgive me I'm German.
Everything has to stand in one row ::)

afterlifestudios

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 04:14:31 PM »

UV, in a normal atmospheric environment, always produces Ozon.
Ozon eats everything, plastic, rubber, even metal.
But to kill viruses in a significant or even protective way you really need much of UV.

Skip that idea.

BTW: Ozon, even in small amounts, is very easy to smell.
If you don't smell it when entering the room from outside (smells like swimhall) there's non or not much.

It was my understanding that lamps that produce UV light at 254nm do not generate ozone.  These seem to be referred to as UV-C.   I don’t have my lamp yet, but will definitely give it the smell test after running in an empty room for some time...  Thanks Kai!

Kai

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 05:13:37 PM »

It was my understanding that lamps that produce UV light at 254nm do not generate ozone.  These seem to be referred to as UV-C.   I don’t have my lamp yet, but will definitely give it the smell test after running in an empty room for some time...  Thanks Kai!
  So finally oof topic we are - be it.

UV-C is the one with the highest energy of the three, UV-A, B and C.
It should not go to your skin, it causes skin cancer.
I guess this lamp (if it's a true medical, not a fake) is meant to disinfect surfaces and tools, not for common usage somewhere in the room with people in it.

UV-C is the one that creates Ozone/O3 from normal O2/Oxygen, by a process called "Photodissoziation".

Place the lamp in a small room and do the smell test before even thinking about using it.

Anyway, however good it is in killing viruses, it will not protect you from infection by skin contact and droplet infection.
At worst it would just give you and the people you're working with a false feeling of security.

The corona virus is easily killed by simple soap.
And for protection there is no way around keeping distance to other people, unless you wear full body protection and FP3 respiratory masks.

I've seen no other way then temporarily shut down my studio.

klaus

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 05:20:14 PM »

The corona virus is easily killed by simple soap.

And to remove the virus from microphones, see here: https://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,37406.0.html
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®

afterlifestudios

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 05:45:14 PM »

Roger that.  I'll keep the UV light for home use as intended.  I am aware of the dangers of exposure.  No houseplants (or humans or pets) will be harmed!  It has a remote control with a delayed start and a duration timer in increments of 15 minutes. 
Very curious to do the smell test... 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 22 queries.