R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AKG C-24L - What is it?  (Read 1766 times)

ratite

AKG C-24L - What is it?
« on: October 29, 2020, 10:22:41 AM »

Just bumped into this.Funny looking connectors.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353244319959

the seller mislabeled the mic in the auction: there is no "C241". The imprint on the housing tube clearly shows the suffix as being an "L". KH

David Satz

Re: AKG C-241,what is it?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 10:35:30 AM »

Those are Lemo connectors. The Austrian public broadcasting network (ORF) used to require them for all outboard equipment. There were "C 451 L" microphones in the mid-1970s, for example, and their recording trucks had Studer C 37 decks with Lemo connectors instead of XLRs.

However, the fact that there are only five pins, and the absence of an original pattern selector box, imply a microphone that was hard-wired for fixed rather than remotely variable patterns. It may be that the pattern controls on the Drefahl power supply aren't in the circuit. If you're bidding on this microphone, you might want to check with the seller about that. [Edited later to add the sound of me smacking my forehead; I certainly know how Lemo connectors are arranged, but didn't think about what I was seeing in the photo when I wrote this. --ds]

Nob Turner

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 04:10:09 PM »

Just to clarify, this is a C24L. I own one, and the Lemo connector actually has 9 pins. You can only see 5 in the photo, as the other 4 are more recessed. Also, the PSU has two polar pattern selectors on one side, from what I can see. So one for each capsule. The big question with these mics is whether they have their original CK12 capsules, or the later nylon-rim replacements (also named CK12, just to confuse the public). Or maybe 3rd party capsules. I'd confirm that before bidding on it...

ratite

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 08:29:35 AM »

Interestingly it has a black ring around the base,the later headbasket but looks like the earlier mesh.Bit rich for my blood at the moment David,but,yes,the seller really should have close-ups of the caps front and rear.Reasonable price I would have thought,if it all works to spec.

klaus

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 04:52:22 PM »

Interestingly it has a black ring around the base, the later head basket but looks like the earlier mesh.
The mesh is correct for a MKII, like the rest of the mic's construction.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 24 queries.