R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Myburgh M1 Microphone  (Read 2651 times)

Mannix

• Real Full Name: Ernie Mannix
Myburgh M1 Microphone
« on: March 12, 2020, 05:10:24 PM »

If anyone has or will have experience with this new mic, it would great if you could give us a review. I am interested in it.  The manufacturer comparison/samples that I've heard seem very nice.

https://www.myburgh.eu/look

klaus

Re: Myburgh M1 Microphone
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 11:18:28 PM »

Just an opinion:
The Thiersch Red line (Polyester capsule) as used in this mic does not convince me. It has no elegance in the region that really matters: the upper mids, the region where congestion quickly becomes annoying.

We need a better capsule design than the ones that seems to be powering a lot of the new boutique mics. As long as we are stuck with Thiersch's M7 as predominant capsule of choice, it will continue to define the ceiling of what can be achieved in any new mic design, regardless how sincere, dedicated and innovative the effort otherwise may be.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

[email protected]

• Real Full Name: Nils
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 07:02:14 AM »

Hey Klaus, what’s your opinion on the ck12 from haun? The new Myburgh m28 will host it..

Cheers

klaus

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2023, 12:36:54 PM »

I have no opinion, because I have no familiarity with it.
But in the past, more precisely, until now, I have found that nothing comes close to the real AKG CK12 in achieving that CK12 sound.

Please let me know if you find that that opinion is no longer accurate.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

gtoledo3

• Real Full Name: George Toledo
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 01:31:34 PM »

The Haun has less airy top end, a little more around 1-2k or so, and the proximity effect seems to emphasize a lower frequency range.

If different real CK12 are siblings, the Haun is a talented first cousin.

This is superficial, but the Haun may have a feeling of being a little flatter response aside from the slight midrange bump, whereas a CK12 can seem more impressive overall.

The area of proximity effect on a CK12 seeming a little higher frequency range gives a bit more feeling of warmth and support to a vocalist, if you are listening for connected, consistent lows/low mids throughout a performance.

AusTex64

• Real Full Name: Robert Mokry
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 10:54:40 PM »

Oliver used the Haun CK12-ish capsule in the Lucas CS-1 mic.

gtoledo3

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2023, 12:13:34 PM »

Oliver used the Haun CK12-ish capsule in the Lucas CS-1 mic.

Yeah, I have a CS-1 prototype that’s had Haun and AKG capsules installed at different times. It has a Haun in it now because I think it’s a useful sound, well worth keeping around.

I don’t think it’s a perfect substitute for a real CK12, but it can give compelling results. I view it as its own thing, even preferable at times.

It is probably worth noting that Haun has made at least two variations on their brass CK12esque capsule. I think there are frequency response and off axis differences between what’s in their own mics versus what they would supply Bock, and Lucas via Bock.

Kai

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2023, 12:38:05 PM »

Yeah, I have a CS-1 prototype that’s had Haun and AKG capsules installed at different times. It has a Haun in it now because I think it’s a useful sound, well worth keeping around.
I have a Soundelux / Bock E250 that delivers an almost complete vocal sound, especially on female vocals.
A touch of tube compressor and you’re done.

It’s said to have a Haun capsule built in.
Running with an EF732 which isn’t super quiet, but fully OK for the purpose of close-miking.
The tube doesn’t last forever, but replacement costs almost nothing.

gtoledo3

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2023, 10:24:51 AM »

Coincidentally, I bought the CS1 I’m mentioning from David. He ended up with one from the design process. It’s from before they had the idea to do the black finish, so it looks more like a C12.

David had further experimented with capacitor brands with the unit. Then after using it for awhile I had him modify the PSU with a better power transformer. I personally think it’s the best CS1 on the planet, one of the best tube condensers ever made, not to say the regular release spec is in any way shabby.

gtoledo3

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2023, 10:41:24 AM »

Running with an EF732 which isn’t super quiet, but fully OK for the purpose of close-miking.
The tube doesn’t last forever, but replacement costs almost nothing.

I want to mention though, that I think it is possible to get very low noise floor with EF732/5840. I have three Tab Funkenwerk UM17 that are *extremely* low noise floor. In that case modding the power supplies lowered noise floor and got rid of some subtle negative effects of parasitic capacitance they were introducing. Amazing mics, and Dennis at Tab was a gem in helping take them into the stratosphere of performance.

To circle back to the topic, I’m quite interested in the Myburgh mic as well. I think I may be able to ping someone who owns one, and see if they have any comments.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.