R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What happened to this u87 Capsule?  (Read 1394 times)

halsalarm

• Real Full Name: Christoph Brandner
What happened to this u87 Capsule?
« on: December 29, 2019, 10:26:06 PM »

Hello beloved mic-community,
Sorry to start another U87-Capsule Thread, i tried to find out in the existing ones, but i‘m still not sure, so here i am...
I recently bought an U87 (old Version) Serial No. 31492 (around 1978).
It sounds quite ok, although it has a little more weight in the area between 4 and 10khz than my old U87ai or my two U77s and it takes up also more room than the before mentioned mics.
Out of curiosity (as i always do) i opened up the mic carefully and saw a body which looked original (although there were some capacitors exchanged, of which i was aware of before i bought it), but when i had a look on the capsule i was slightly shocked: it looked a little bit like a wildstyle diy-butcher-party what happened here. And i`m not sure whether this is the original capsule.
Could anybody comment on these pictures? It would be much appreciated.
Thank you and get safe to 2020,
Christoph

klaus

Re: What happened to this u87 Capsule?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 10:59:56 PM »

So, what were you referring to as "wildstyle diy-butcher-party"?
To me, it just looks like a good old 1998 replacement K87, with someone writing over the original blue ink with a bigger blue pen.

What's more interesting to me is the head assembly with its deteriorating plastic: notorious for mid-to-late 1970s KK87.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

halsalarm

• Real Full Name: Christoph Brandner
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 11:51:59 PM »

Dear Klaus,
Thank you for the quick and thorough reply.
Please excuse my unprecise language here, butcher-party refers to the fact, that somebody worked with a lot of glue at the area where the three screws at the bottom hold the capsule in place and to the at least partial strange looking soldering.
Your remarks concerning the deteriorating plastic and the replacement k87 support my impression that somebody put a replacement capsule on the original already worn out head assembly.
Normally not a big deal, if the mic sounds ok, i simply do not care much. Since the seller is quite established for years, quite an expert in vintage microphones and has assured me that it´s still the original capsule and demanded a pretty steep amount of money for it, however, i am disappointed to say the least, especially since i absolutely value honesty.  I‘m ready to pay good money for good quality, that´s the reason i rarely buy microphones on ebay. But for future buys i will do it the old school way: have a personal look at the microphones and test them in place.
Thank you again for your assessment! All the best,
Christoph

klaus

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 01:23:11 AM »

Since the seller is quite established for years, quite an expert in vintage microphones and has assured me that it's still the original capsule and demanded a pretty steep amount of money for it, however, i am disappointed to say the least...

Boy, that's going to make me really popular with yet another seller.
But repentance, before it's too late, can turn things around- from the gods of greed to those of redemption, kindness and honesty!  (Or just watch "Uncut Gems").
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.