R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: K47 Capsule I.D.  (Read 1383 times)

Mannix

• Real Full Name: Ernie Mannix
K47 Capsule I.D.
« on: April 20, 2020, 12:16:04 PM »

I've been offered a u47 with a mid 5000 serial number. Capsule attached is claimed to be original. My limited knowledge using photo comparisons tells me it looks good, however I'm questioning the bright paint on the screws and what seems to be misaligned holes. Any help is appreciated. (And no, no shotgunning of this inquiry... :) )

Thanks,

Ernie

Mannix

Re: k47 Capsule ID
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 01:32:57 PM »

I'm being offered the whole mic. I just pictured the capsule. Below is the body. Price is premium retail. Yes, I'm interested. The question is, does the capsule look to be original? My misgivings are the bright paint and misaligned holes. Anything else you care to note will be quite appreciated. Thanks.

klaus

Re: k47 Capsule ID
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 02:44:30 PM »

You may disagree with what I am about to write, but hear me out:

You are interested in a mic that, if my research is correct, will cost around $20,000.-
You are rightfully concerned whether this would be a good investment for you, considering that that kind of price should guarantee a high level of authenticity, of 100% period-correct parts throughout, of no alterations, etc.

But now comes the split in the road: because you somehow think expert advice can be obtained without engaging a third, unbiased party, which needs to get pay for that advice, you post in on-line forums, hoping to get that advice for free.

Looking at any other field of high-priced collectibles, you would instantly recognize the folly of this. Just imagine, you were to post on an internet art forum: "I am about to buy this Picasso, but I see some funny brush strokes in the left lower corner. Is this a real Picasso?" 

When we engage a professional service, there is an expectation that the deal will add value for both parties: I get important information that allows me to make an informed decision, and the service provider gets reimbursed for the expertise that gets me there.

When you get free advice on internet forums from people with unexamined expertise, unknown background in the field, often with anonymous identities, you have to rely on whether what is posted "sounds reasonable". Which is of course nuts, because you would not inquire, if you could tell fact from bullshit.

Please don't kill the messenger. But this is no way to buy a $20k mic. Hire an authenticator, get the authentication in writing, and make an informed decision, based on that expertise.

Considering the low cost of what most authenticators charge, a pre-purchase authentication is dirt-cheap insurance that could save you from a foolish purchase, or give you peace of mind in finding a true classic.

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Mannix

Re: The Value of Free Advice
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 03:18:53 PM »

Just this A.M. I read a long past verification post concerning a k47 that you politely responded to. So, if you notice, I posted just the capsule question with the single picture of that capsule.

Then you responded and asked me "What is your question? Are you interested in purchasing? (Price) Does the price include the switch assembly?" You deleted that response from this thread.

I followed up your now deleted questions with the answer. "I am being offered the whole mic..."  (The full post with mic pictures.) thinking you thought I was only purchasing the capsule. It was directly in response to your question.

I'm not doubting your final response and advise, (in fact it's good advise)  nor do I expect anything from you. The changing of the title of the post to shame me, is a little much. Hey, it's your sandbox. But if you didn't want to know, why did you ask me for answers, then delete your questions? All I originally asked about was the capsule until you queried further.

I do wish all the best to you into the future. 

Ernie Mannix   

klaus

Re: The Value of Free Advice
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 03:57:26 PM »

Hello Ernie,
I apologize, appreciate your response, and have changed the title of the thread back to the one you gave it.

I also wanted you and everyone else to know that in this case, I would not be available as authenticator, for the obvious reason that I like to keep my forum clean from commercial self-promotion and keep it as un-selfserving as I can manage.

P.S.: Your white capsule paint is authentic, as per early 1960s versions. That capsule came with that 1961 mic.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks®
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Mannix

Re: K47 Capsule I.D.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 04:10:53 PM »

Thank you very much sir, be well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.